New York Driver License issues for out of state and Conditional Permanent Residents

crisppan

I am a US Conditional Permanent Resident (exp. of current greencard Jan 2014) relocating with my wife to NY in September. The NY DPS website does not address questions related to Permanent Residents relocating from another state and does not seem to differentiate between Conditional Permanent Res. and permanent resident.That is fine with me as long as it works for and not against me. But I am afraid I am up for a few very long back and forth trips to that office. So here are my dilemmas regarding transferring a Texas license to NY

1) Texas DL for immigrants are marked with Limited Term on top - showing the expiration date being the expiration of the permanent resident status. Can such a license be transferred? That Limited Term is used apparently by the almighty Rick Perry to deter from illegals getting licenses...except it also is a great pain in the butt for legals. It also scares the crap of rental companies, and other DPS offices.

If this license is transferable as I hope it is.

2) will I be issued a NY license that expires with my status in Jan 2013 or a "normal" license

3) I will apply to remove the conditional status in October and hopefully will receive a receipt/letter from USCIS within a month that extends the status automatically. In TX this is proof of residency and may be used for renewing the license. Does this constitute for NY DPS proof of residency or do I need to schedule an InfoPass with USCIS and have my passport stamped as well? (another fun day)

These issues need to be addressed on the NY DPS website more clearly and concisely. It would save permanent residents/non-US citizens who are trapped in the politics of immigration a lot of valuable time.

I have posted this inquiry on the NY DPS website as well with no results.

Any information would be most welcomed.

Thank you

UPDATE: I called NY DMV and after quite a wait I was able to speak with a lady with whom I began debating the value of "temporary visitor" vs "limited term". She said the TX DL could not be transferred in this case. TX licenses used to have temporary visitor on them, now they have limited term (date of my conditional greencard expiring). When I mentioned my DL Driving Record Abstract does not mention Limited, she said it might be up to the NY DMV manager to decide if he likes my papers, Texas, or my face in general...in order to transfer the license. In other words
From what I read this is a lengthy process (writing-class-test), not to mention the stress of it all and frustrating on several levels:
1) makes immigrants such as myself look like we cannot f-ing drive. The renewal and expiration of my conditional greencard- also seems to be the expiration of my driving skills. Not even a German scientist could come up with such a thesis.
2) Conditional Permanent Resident is also a permanent resident. When I received my two year greencard I did not receive a letter from USCIS informing me I have half the rights of a Permanent Resident. I have the same rights and responsibilities as a LPR - and the DMV should respect that.
3) cannot wait 3-6-10 weeks for all this to happen while looking for a job.
4) is it just me or do illegals now have more rights at the DMV (in some states) than legal residents

I want to hear from people with similar experiences and find a course of action. Who can we write to, who can we annoy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why can't you drive in New York for several months with your Texas driving licence and then, after lifting the restrictions on your LPR status, apply for a regular NY licence? That is, of course, if you cannot apply for a regular NY driving licence right away.