New SSN card after Citizenship ?

complex_dude

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I just went to the SSA office today to update my citizenship status, and they asked me to apply for a new card, and they kept my old SSN card. I was under the impression that it is just a data update, not a new card application.

Please let me know if this what most people do, or did I do something I did not fully understand ?

BTW, my old SSN card did have an annotation which read something like 'INS Authorization required for work'.

Thanks.

Hi,
I just went to the SSA office today to update my citizenship status, and they asked me to apply for a new card, and they kept my old SSN card. I was under the impression that it is just a data update, not a new card application.

Please let me know if this what most people do, or did I do something I did not fully understand ?

BTW, my old SSN card did have an annotation which read something like 'INS Authorization required for work'.

Thanks.

Yes. That is the case. You woudl have already known this if you had updated your SSN card after the GC. It is teh same drill again.

Yes. That is the case. You woudl have already known this if you had updated your SSN card after the GC. It is teh same drill again.

Thanks. I somehow got away with not knowing to update SSN card after GC. Would that be an issue ?
If not, ignorance was a bliss!

After you get your green card you are eligible for a SS card without the: 'INS Authorization required for work'. So, get a new one now and for sure it will be with zero restrictions since you a US citizen now. Do not worry or think more about that, just apply for a new SS card and you will get it in 2 weeks.

Thanks. I somehow got away with not knowing to update SSN card after GC. Would that be an issue ?
If not, ignorance was a bliss!

Some even uopdate SSN card when from F1 to H1B because on SSN card to F1B, it is something like "not valid to work",
for H1B it is "Work only with INS permit". My SSN card had no such legend from very beginning. I only needed to update
with SSA record but they still took away my old card and give me the new card even two are identical. That is the
procedure. There is no way youc an update yoru record without physcially getting a new card and returning the old
card (except old card is lost or destroyed)

Thanks a lot guys.

Followup question: What is the procedure for registering to vote ? My wife got registered after her oath ceremony. But there was no such provision (and info) at my ceremony.

Many decide never to update SSN card. They figure that
(1) They never use SSN card as long as they remember the number. They are not even sure if they still have the card
(2) The work restriction legend on teh card does not matter since you have DL plus certificate of nat, passport book and passport card.
(3) Current laws make no difference in SS benefits between citizens and PRs and even non-PR foreignees but only depend upon SS taxes one pay. Even if there is no difference, no need to worry now.

Thanks a lot guys.

Followup question: What is the procedure for registering to vote ? My wife got registered after her oath ceremony. But there was no such provision (and info) at my ceremony.

Most likely you can register to vote online. Google with keywords "Vote registratio+your state name"

Yes. Libraries use to have voter registration forms.
Because you still had a SSN card with restrictions they are going to replace it with one that doesn't have that text. That's expected. Many people do the change when they get the green card, but it is not mandatory or doesn't carry any consequence if you didn't do this before your naturalization. Don't worry and I hope you get your new SSN card soon.