New passport and OCI

DesiG

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I got my OCI about 5 years ago, but now have a new passport. According to the NY CGI web site, those between 21-50 don't have to have a new OCI issued. Does that mean that I have to travel with the previous passport (and sticker)?

So basically, has anyone done this - travel with just the OCI "card", and a new passport? Have there been any problems in India?

Also, I tried to access the "hosted service" for this in the MHA website as directed by the NY CGI website - could not find it. Anyone else having to deal with this?!

Thanks!

DesiG,

If your old passport has an OCI visa sticker or "U" visa sticker, then carry it with you along with OCI certificate (OCI card) and your new passport to India.

Without visa, they won't allow you to enter India. Permanent Visa (OCI visa) must be shown on either old passport (previous passport) or your current passport.

OCI certificate is for only business purposes (like opening a bank account, social security, etc.) OCI sticker on your passport is for an entry to India.

I have seen one case. He brought a new passport (no OCI sticker on his new passport) and OCI card and he was detained. Immigration control officer wanted to see a permanent visa ("U" sticker) which was on his old passport. Here's the link:
http://mikeghouse.sulekha.com/blog/post/2009/09/dr-sujit-pandit-s-story-my-dual-citizenship-woes.htm

Here's the pdf link of Mha's FAQs (See Number 25): http://www.mha.nic.in/pdfs/oci-faq.pdf

Hope this helps. :)

DesiG
I too have heard thru a friend about how strict the officials are at Mumbai if you don't have the "U" visa with you. Luckily, they gave her 4-5 days and she managed to get the same from the USA and get the sticky situation resolved.
You can pay $ 20 ( I think) to get the visa stamped on the new passport. There is a link to the form on the OCI page.
Best of luck :)

New passport and OLD OCI visa

I need promprt assistance on the matter

I have a 4 year old daughter and we need to travel to India urgently
I have a new US passport for my daugther but the OCI visa and OCI regsitration is on the old passport number.
I think the new regulations says we need to get a new OCI registrator booklet with the new passport number but due to the urgency of the situation. can she travel with the new Passport and the OLD passport and old registration booklet . Has anybody done so and travelled to Chennai. Is there any issues at Chennai immigration. Any prompt response is appreciated as she need to travel by Dec 31.

Thank you

New passport and OLD oci visa

I have a new US passport for my daugther but the OCI visa and OCI regsitration is on the old passport number.
I think the new regulations says we need to get a new OCI registrator booklet with the new passport number but due to the urgency of the situation. can she travel with the new Passport and the OLD passport and old registration booklet . Has anybody done so and travelled to Chennai. Is there any issues at Chennai immigration. Any prompt response is appreciated as she need to travel by Dec 31.

Thank you

------------- when enter India keep New US passport, Old US passport that has U visa and OCI book.
I think the new regulations says we need to get a new OCI registrator booklet with the new passport number but due to the urgency of the situation.

can she travel with the new Passport and the OLD passport and old registration booklet
---------------------Yes.
. Has anybody done so and travelled to Chennai. Is there any issues at Chennai immigration. Any prompt response is appreciated as she need to travel by Dec 31.

Thank you

--------

I know someone who was hassled by the agent at the check-in counter but was eventually allowed to travel. There was no issue at the port of entry, however. This incident occurred about six months back.

I think the new regulations says we need to get a new OCI registrator booklet with the new passport number but due to the urgency of the situation.

can she travel with the new Passport and the OLD passport and old registration booklet .
---------------------Yes.
Has anybody done so and travelled to Chennai. Is there any issues at Chennai immigration. Any prompt response is appreciated as she need to travel by Dec 31.

Thank you

--------------