New Motion Picture

jlames

We have just approved the production of "El Papel" a 90-minute docudrama on the Dream Act produced in conjunction with UCLA and Sony Entertainment. Pre-production began in April with the working script being written and casting started. The month of September marks the last month of pre-production with cameras rolling in Los Angeles on October 1, 2006.

I want to invite all of you here to e-mail me with your thoughts relative to the issue as I'm reading through this and other forums. I want to stress that this is not a glorified American version of the issue but rather an in-depth look at both sides of the issue and how it affects both people. We have no agenda other than to explore the benefit of the Dream Acgt and report on it, through a dramatic production. More information on the production can be found at www.2nd-Unit.tv and we will value your opinions and perspectives as we complete the pre-rpodiuction phase of the effort.

Hi

I would like to talk you regarding these issues and tried to e-mail you

Will try again later but stop by www.expatsvoice.org

Do search for Kelly comes through and Susies story in The Ledger and Sentinel

Regards Sue

PS or send me a private message with your best contact details, thanks

Hello,

A documentary on the Dream Act sounds great. I would like to give you some ideas:

Did you include in the movie the possibility that the government of the respective countries these children came from should be responsible to repatriate them, receive them there and allocate a special reintegration program onto their respective societies ? It sounds to be that seems to be most feasible way out of this. Other issues there are thousands of children of skilled, law abiding, immigrants who are now stuck in the greencard queue thanks to amnesties, such as the 245(i) law in 2001. Did you include that as well ?

If you put a documentary out there it would need to be realistic and address all implications of letting millions of parents of illegal children applying for citizenship based on the legalization of their respective children. Is that going to be a way to continue to motivate people to come here illegally and deliver anchor babies in order to gain residency here ? It sounds to me that is the case.

Please let me know if you included all the above in your Dream Act documentary.

Thanks !

GCDreamer2006

jlames said:
We have just approved the production of "El Papel" a 90-minute docudrama on the Dream Act produced in conjunction with UCLA and Sony Entertainment. Pre-production began in April with the working script being written and casting started. The month of September marks the last month of pre-production with cameras rolling in Los Angeles on October 1, 2006.

I want to invite all of you here to e-mail me with your thoughts relative to the issue as I'm reading through this and other forums. I want to stress that this is not a glorified American version of the issue but rather an in-depth look at both sides of the issue and how it affects both people. We have no agenda other than to explore the benefit of the Dream Acgt and report on it, through a dramatic production. More information on the production can be found at www.2nd-Unit.tv and we will value your opinions and perspectives as we complete the pre-rpodiuction phase of the effort.

Backfire ?

I don't know. I think this story may backfire on you. I am sorry for the incovenience children who immigrated here illegally have experienced, but it seems to me that this story may just irate even more people who are paying taxes and consequently the bill for this "free ride" study and advanced degree accomplishments. In general, Americans like to play by the rules, and get pissed off when they see others cheating.

Children who were brought up here and studied at Americans universities and got "free public" education should be thankful for that. Yes, it is true I am sorry for the incovenience students may not receive the degree, but if they stayed in their respective countries, unlikely they would get a degree there either, and not even the education. That said, all folks in this situation should be way better off than those who stayed in their respective country. Folks, all your PhD's and other education you got here at the expense of legal folks and tax payers should keep you competitive when you go back to the country where you come from. You need to see a little beyound the fact that it is an inconvenience to you. Think about this when you think about benefits such as the Dream Act:

1. How many more millions illegal immigrants would feel motivated to come here illegally and continue to vicious cycle of "Dream Act" if an amnesty law such as the Dream Act is passed ? I bet you that's going to be a huge magnet to attract more illegal activity here.

2. How many more millions of illegal aliens coming motivated by the Dream Act can legal immigrants and American tax payers sustain ? Is that fair ? Where is the "Dream Act" to my son, who is here legally ?

3. Are you better off than if you stayed in your home country ? If you go back to your home country, is your education achieved in America better than the others one there ? Don't you think the government of your own home country should take part of the responsibility for your reintegration there, language training, repatriation, allocate jobs for your in the public sector, etc ? Those are the real and fair solutions to your problems. I am sure you know it. There is no excuse that this your home. Someday your parents sold their belongs there and left. You can do the same. Every day people sell houses, etc and move on.

Guys I am an American tax payer and I am not happy with this at all.

James, you seem a reasonable man. I hope you include the three points I made above in your motion picture.

Thanks !

GCdreamer2006

Last edited by a moderator:
GCdreamer2006 said:
I don't know. I think this story may backfire on you. I am sorry for the incovenience children who immigrated here illegally have experienced, but it seems to me that this story may just irate even more people who are paying taxes and consequently the bill for this "free ride" study and advanced degree accomplishments. In general, Americans like to play by the rules, and get pissed off when they see others cheating.

Hi

Sorry I have to disagree. Children do not cheat, their parents do but;

Children have no choice in where their parents take them to live. It is true that USC pay for their education up to graduation so I would ask

Why should America not benefit from their knowledge? I do not approve of the illegal parents being allowed to adjust status but why would you want a child to suffer ?

All children including children of E visa holders should be able to adjust status to LPR subject to good moral character

E visa holders invest heavily in the US and employ USA citizens, They are not allowed to retire, ever, and can only stay in the USA whilst taking an active interest in their business

If the husband dies the wife has to sell the business, sell her home, arrange a funeral and go to probate. Then has to depart the USA within 30 DAYS !

The dream act should not just protect illiegal chidren and legal ones as well

Regards Sue
www.expatsvoice.org

GCdreamer2006 said:

Hi

Sorry I have to disagree. Children do not cheat, their parents do.

Children have no choice in where their parents take them to live. It is true that USC pay for their education up to graduation so I would ask

Why should America not benefit from their knowledge? I do not approve of the illegal parents being allowed to adjust status but why would you want a child to suffer ?

All children including children of E visa holders should be able to adjust status to LPR subject to good moral character

E visa holders invest heavily in the US and employ USA citizens, They are not allowed to retire, ever, and can only stay in the USA whilst taking an active interest in their business

If the husband dies the wife has to sell the business, sell her home, arrange a funeral and go to probate. Then has to depart the USA within 30 DAYS !

Regards Sue
www.expatsvoice.org

I don't see how young adults like me (who were brought here as little kids w/o any say in the matter) are cheaters. The parents are the ones to blame. So is the issue is this: should we punish the children for their parents' mistakes? Before you accuse anyone of anything, read up on something called "criminal intent."
Maybe the question should be should we reward illegals aliens by providing them with another amnesty? Cheaters? Come on.... The parents know they and their children are illegal. The children realize it at some point and probably before they are adults. They realize they have jumped the line ahead of thousands who are trying to immigrate here legally. Yet they stay and continue to take advantage of the system.

Some other solution is necessary.
The solution is to enforce exisiting immigration laws.

If your son is here "legally," then why would he need the Dream Act?
Part of the DREAM Act would allow states to offer college tution to illegal aliens at the in-state rate. Something that is not offered to US citizens even if they want to attend college in the state right next to where they live.

Your suggestion is similar to the kind proposed by white supremacists / separatists that think that all African-Americans should be sent back to Africa. It's a) impractical on so many levels and b) downright racist.

I think this documentary should address the concerns and opinions of people like you, GCdreamer2006. But be careful with your own rhetoric as well because your story and opinions (at least the way you articulate them here) might just backfire on you as it smells of hate, ignorance, and a gross lack of foresight and common sense.
Ahhh...the race card. I didn't see anything about race in GCdreamer2006's posts.

susan ward said:
GCdreamer2006 said:

Hi

Sorry I have to disagree. Children do not cheat, their parents do but;

>>> Right. That's why parents should take the consequences for that. The PARENTS were cheating in this case. The problem remains and now it is a matter to take responsibilities for the consequences; the least involved in this should be this country. The country where this people come from should get involved and put a repatriation program back home. That's the most practical way to get this solved.

>>> Like GCDreamer2006, I don't want to see other children suffering. Thererefore put a stop to this, otherwise millions of others will continue to come here under the same pretext. If you grant DreamAct for those here, the word out there in the poor and corrupt South America is that people should continue to jump the fence to come here and get rewarded. That's invasion folks, and from the talking to many American friends, I am not sure if they will put up with that for too long. People pushing for this Dream Act may end up being the responsible for a very big division in America, I am afraid. Stop supporting the invasion, folks.

>>> Again, go back to the home country where this people come from and ask them to introduce a DREAM ACT there. It seems to be that's the fair and realistic countermeasure for this. It may not be convenient to you, but it is fair to other legal residents.

Regards Sue
www.expatsvoice.org

Hi MutantXP, you don't see how young adults like you are not cheaters, please allow me to explain:

mutantxp said:
I don't see how young adults like me (who were brought here as little kids w/o any say in the matter) are cheaters. The parents are the ones to blame. So is the issue is this: should we punish the children for their parents' mistakes? Before you accuse anyone of anything, read up on something called "criminal intent."

>>> Sure, the parents are the ones to blame. So blame them. If you don't at minimum take responsibility for this and try to put the burden on legal permanent immigrants and citizens of this country, so I am forced to say that you are a cheater.

To my knowledge the Dream Act is a one time thing. But you're right. "Band-Aid" quick-fix solutions to immigration is alot like trying to keep a sinking boat afloat by dumping water out to the sea. Some other solution is necessary.

Your suggestion is similar to the kind proposed by white supremacists / separatists that think that all African-Americans should be sent back to Africa. It's a) impractical on so many levels and b) downright racist.

>>> As you usual, one cannot win an argument. Then one attempts to disguise facts and come up with the racial appeal. You don't fool anyone here. People are aware of that. That's how Lou Dobbs has demolished your representatives so far. This way you can't earn respect, guys.

African-Americans were brought here. Africans were brought as slaves to live here. You and/or your parents came here voluntarily. Totally different, right ? There was no West Union wiring money back to Africa back then. There was no Internet to keep people with one 'leg' here and another back home. There was no cheap intercontinental flight. What's the difference back then and now ? The difference is that we have an invasion of millions of people like your parents who want a free-ride on a country which is doing better than yours. The problem is that when you have millions of people invading a country, that is simply not acceptable, not practical and not possible to let wide open, otherwise the country would sink as well. If you at minimum don't realize that is the case and you are above 18 years old, so I am sorry to tell you that you are a cheater as well, in my opinion.

I think this documentary should address the concerns and opinions of people like you, GCdreamer2006. But be careful with your own rhetoric as well because your story and opinions (at least the way you articulate them here) might just backfire on you as it smells of hate, ignorance, and a gross lack of foresight and common sense.

P.S. I hope you don't mind but this undocumented alien took the liberty of correcting the grammatical errors in your post.

Hi MutantXP,

First, regarding your comment:
>>>>I think this documentary should address the concerns and opinions of people like you, GCdreamer2006. But be careful with your own rhetoric as well because your story and opinions (at least the way you articulate them here) might just backfire on you as it smells of hate, ignorance, and a gross lack of foresight and common sense.

*** Here is my answer:
I have to be careful with nothing. I am outlining professional, reasonable and honest opinions. Unless lawless people take control of this country - what is possible according to your desire - this is still a free speech place. The only talking about hate, ignorance here is you, since you cannot admit the mere fact that you are here illegally. As some other members pointed out, clearly my point has nothing to do with race or hate. I don't care whether you came from Ireland, Sweden or Mexico. This is about immigration status, not race. Never mind because no one is buying your rethoric though. More you use that 'race' rethoric, more honest Americans and true immigrants distance themselves from your cause. Change your mind. Citizens and legal residents are fed up with that type of attitude.

Now regarding:
P.S. I hope you don't mind but this undocumented alien took the liberty of correcting the grammatical errors in your post.[/QUOTE]

>>> No, I don't mind. Moreover, this documented alien here is almost done with an MBA from a top 18 school in the US and paying every dime for it; so far $20,000. If that makes you feel better, I scored 260 - TOEFL. 5.5 points out of 6 - essay. GMAT = 75% - essay. I write sophisticated papers on daily basis. You can imagine I am kind of busy studying and working full-time. I don't really have time to review everything I write to you, don't you think ? I give myself the luxury of typing extremely fast and not reviewing my post. By the way, your attitude once again has just surfaced and has demonstrated who is the arrogant here. We, the professional, true immigrants will not extend a red carpet for you while millions of you circumvent the immigration system and let the true legal immigrants waiting in the endless USCIS queue. We are not impressed by your rethoric.

Keep on DREAMING :)

Now...
Whether you, your parents or your government are cheaters is not the main focus of my argument. My argument is also not about whether you deserve to stay or not. It goes way beyound that. It is about implications of giving amnesty to individuals who came here illegally, jumped the fence and outsmarted people by doing so - and more importantly - how to solve that problem. Amnesties just attract more amnesties. That happens because our good neighbors, cousins, brothers, friends back in the poor countries of the world will say "see, Pablo got an amnesty there. Let's pack the bags and leave to the US right now and wait to get ours, take the kids and dump them there". In addition, there are thousands and thousands of people who are as capable or more capable than you or your parents and stayed in their home countries, playing by the rules. Why this country should reward you and not them for their obedience ? Thousands of honest greencard applicants - way more honest than your parents and as capable or way more educated than you - are here stuck thanks to people who "outsmarted us". I have had enough of that and I am sure that many Americans feel the same way. Yes, your "knowledge" is that the Dream Act is a one time thing. Sure, the 245(i) was also supposed to be just that "one time" thing. What it matters here is the repercussion.

mutantxp said:

To my knowledge the Dream Act is a one time thing. But you're right. "Band-Aid" quick-fix solutions to immigration is alot like trying to keep a sinking boat afloat by dumping water out to the sea. Some other solution is necessary.

P.S. I hope you don't mind but this undocumented alien took the liberty of correcting the grammatical errors in your post.

JLames, more topics to be included.

Dear JLames,

I urge you to present a fair and balanced "Dream Act Documentary". In addition to other topics I submitted to your attention before, will you please include the following, preferably backed by quantitative and qualitative analysis:

1. How many skilled immigrants could be impacted negatively by a new amnesty like the Dream Act. For example, the latest amnesty 245(i) law granted legal status to thousands of illegal aliens. It has been reported by USCIS continuosly that the 245(i) amnesty cases have taken immigrant visa numbers and overhelmed the USCIS staff. That has caused hardship to thousands of professional, honest, skilled immigrants who undeniably are the best example of educated immigrants and contributors to this country. Allow me to tell you that I have considered giving up from my greencard application and going back home myself. If you value and are impressed by the education of illegal alien children, how about me ? I am educated in the US, taking an advanced degree in one of the top business schools in the country. I work full-time and pay taxes. The major difference is that I did not have a father who jumped the fence to come here and took advantage of the system. Does it sound right and appealing to you that thousands of legal immigrants of my caliber would be considering abandoning the greencard process and going back home ? What does that has to do with the Dream Act or other amnesties ? If the Dream Act or other amnesties impact our legal, skilled immigration petitions, that is has everything to do. It is about implications here. If we determine that amnesty cases and chaos have the power to push out who play by the rules, can you please let Americans know that ?

2. Since this is still a democratic country - I hope - I would like to know how many legal, highly skilled immigrants like me are in favor or the Dream Act.

3. You can hear testimony from highly skilled immigrants like me:
At immigrationvoice.org, a pro skilled immigration website, recently we heard two cases of Indian professionals, one of them a PhD working in the US, who could no longer keep up with the uncertainty and delays in the USCIS greencard process and continue the endless effort of submitting his family to half-lives in the US. Those delays are reportedly caused in good part by the processing of 245(i) amnesty cases. It is reported that many foreign immigrant professionals end up simply giving up from their employment greencard application and returning back home. JLames, that is a big loss indeed. Talk to ANY intelligent economist and you will see how favorable is the presence of a foreigner professional in this country when compared to unskilled immigrants. Basically we contribute greatly to the economy, without taking benefits back. If so, why this country should favor unskilled immigrants who came here against the law ? I believe that immigration is a blessing to this country. This conversation has nothing to do with immigration though. It is the opposite. The Dream Act and other amnesties need to be analyzed from both sides, including how they could hurt true immigrants. This country should not frustrate the skilled, legal immigrants and let them leave. Why is that important ? If the Dream Act or other future amnesties have the potential to directly or indirectly impact the skilled immigrants, you really should capture that and show in your documentary. Unfortunately, in any given host country and you will find a limited number of permanent visas available on yearly basis. That quota is finite. What is happening now is that thanks to the latest amnesties, USCIS has reported that visa numbers have been taken by 300,000+ amnesty cases granted in 2001 by Pres. Clinton. When it comes to future amnesties like the Dream Act, even if there is determined that there is no direct visa depletion that could impact the skilled immigrants, obviously there is an indirect component to be analyzed, as the USCIS staff is also limited and could get overhelmed by millons of Dream Act amnesty cases granted to children or parents who become eligible to apply for permanent residency. Delaying applications for the legal immigrants in favor of future Dream Act beneficiaries don't seem to be an acceptable option. That would be unfair. It is unviable to the economy. It is unAmerican.

America simply cannot follow the temptation of the third world and start in the path of the favoritism. The rule of law and reward to those who play by the rules is what used to distinguish America. That is why I always dreamed to come here and I worked really hard to come here as a professional engineer. Remember this, JLames and others, if you reward those who do not play by the rules, regardless who are the ones to be blamed - parents, corrupt government, children who now are old enough to understand their status but continue with the old rethoric- then you may also take part in the process of frustrating those legal and honest immigrants, permanent residents and US Citizens who are fed up with the consequences of amnesties of any kind. That could be a sad day indeed, because America would no longer be America.

For those who replied to my posts before, please I respect your opinion and understand you are trying to fight for your position here. That is understandable. However, if you try to come up again with the 'race' card when it is clear from my position there is no such a thing, then the one that should be labeled as a racist and full of hate is definitely you. Your attempt to disguise the debate as a racial matter is unsuccessful. Please refrain from doing that as your credibility is just further eroded by that posture.

That is all.

Regards,

GCDreamer2006

jlames said:

jlames said:

children are not criminals. that's what people need to realize.

if you grew up here and some c**ksucker named average american tells you you're an alien you need go back home. besides being aggravated with the ignorance of this person, where is this home? california? that's all i know.

by allowing dream act to pass you encourage illegal immigration? how about that giant space in the border and a better living. isnt that encouragement enough?

tax payers pay for free education? well f***! they're paying for college. it's an investment. most people dont end up on welfare after college.

the army can benefit i am sure.

what xxxxx me off is that most kids who were allegible 3 years ago arent anymore.
youth is not meant to be waiting. time's not on our side.

and all because people are biased and can't see further than their TV.

children are not criminals. that's what people need to realize.
blah, blah, blah, yeah and no human is illegal either...blah, blah, blah

if you grew up here and some c**ksucker named average american tells you you're an alien you need go back home. besides being aggravated with the ignorance of this person, where is this home? california? that's all i know.
Dude, I'm sorry your parents screwed you on this but lets not resort to name calling.

tax payers pay for free education? well f***! they're paying for college. it's an investment. most people dont end up on welfare after college.
How can an illegal alien get a job after college if they are an illegal alien?

Thank you for your comments. We're completing principle photography on the pilot episode of El Papel and have started script work on the next of the 13 episodes. Each of the episodes deals with a number of subjects, many of which you have brought up here including the DREAM Act. As producers, we don't actually take either side of the subject and so I appreciate your thoughts. Your discussions have gone into the considersations of how we handle the subject of immigration in general but especially undocumented immigrants and hope you'll continue your very honest postings here. The series is going to include a website, the intent of whih is to stimulate discussion of the topic not unlike Rajiv's does here. While I don't know what the answer is to the issue, I do know that the only way we'll find one is to publicly consider it. Again, tank yo for your comments and please kepp the discussion going. The website can be found at www.elpapelthemovie.com.

Let me ask the group a question? There have been a number of postings that state that we are well-beyond the time when mass deportation is an option given the consatraints on the American budget and law enfocement manpower. Many go on to say that, if we subscribe to this, the question has to be is it not better to educate the children we have here putting them to work for the United States in the private or public sectors in say the military during and after that education has been completed? In this way we make the best of a bad situation making lemonade out of lemos so to speak. Otherwise, they have only the gangs, violence and crime left to them to survive. What are your thoughts?

jlames said:
Let me ask the group a question? There have been a number of postings that state that we are well-beyond the time when mass deportation is an option given the consatraints on the American budget and law enfocement manpower. Many go on to say that, if we subscribe to this, the question has to be is it not better to educate the children we have here putting them to work for the United States in the private or public sectors in say the military during and after that education has been completed? In this way we make the best of a bad situation making lemonade out of lemos so to speak. Otherwise, they have only the gangs, violence and crime left to them to survive. What are your thoughts?

I agree, a three year term in the military for all school leavers would do them the world or good whether legal or illegal children

What I cannot understand , is . there have been amnesty's in the past. Its all very very giving these but before they give another they need to secure the usa so no one can walk in to the usa or jump a fence

I think the battle rages on two fronts; 1) reducing the crime that comes from immigrants who have lost all hope and 2) securing the borders. El Papel so far looks only at the first front because the second is simply about apprortioning the money to secure the borders. The first requires little or no approtionment of funds and is simply an issue of relieving the pressure on the community by giving those already here and not going anywhere soon something to live for.

One of the recurring themes that exists in virtually everyone we speak to is lost hope. And when you take everything away from someone, well, as the old sayng goes, "Never leave someone with nothing to lose." If there's no hope of betterment, life itself loses value and life it self become very cheap. Another thing we hear is, "What can they do, kill us? Fine, it's better than the life we're living here anyway." And that very statement goes to the heart of why there are so many killings. Life has become cheap as life has become a day to day affair. But, by passing the DREAM Act, citizenship becomes possible and with citizenship comes a better life through a better job that they can get to with a driver's license. The entire chain of existence reverses itself and we give children an alternative to the day-to-day living of a gang life where they only have to get through the next minute. Are there two sides to this position? There are many sides and that's what El Papel is all about; stimulating the debate to come up with movement. Today, the DREAM Act languishes in Congress having not been re-introduced. The issue needs movement, one way or the other, because the one position I can take is that if there is no movement at all, there can be no prograss.