New form DS-11 for minor and "maiden" name for naturalised father

König

Registered Users (C)
I admit it's a bit messy title for a thread. The new passport form DS-11 requires an applicant to list mother's and father's surnames at birth (aka "maiden" surnames). It does not say to list given name at birth, just surname. I am filing DS-11 for my son, and I cannot decide what I should put there. I changed both my given name and surname during naturalisation, so I am a bit lost here. I cannot put my new given name and old surname, and I cannot put my both old names there because they only ask for a "maiden" surname. At the same time, my son's birth certificate lists my new full name. Apparently, the Dept of State decided to be politically correct, but the county issuing birth certificates remained conservatively sexist, so this fact causes some inconvenience for people like me :rolleyes: What should I do?

I admit it's a bit messy title for a thread. The new passport form DS-11 requires an applicant to list mother's and father's surnames at birth (aka "maiden" surnames). It does not say to list given name at birth, just surname. I am filing DS-11 for my son, and I cannot decide what I should put there. I changed both my given name and surname during naturalisation, so I am a bit lost here. I cannot put my new given name and old surname, and I cannot put my both old names there because they only ask for a "maiden" surname. At the same time, my son's birth certificate lists my new full name. Apparently, the Dept of State decided to be politically correct, but the county issuing birth certificates remained conservatively sexist, so this fact causes some inconvenience for people like me :rolleyes: What should I do?

Why not simply provide what they have asked for, i.e. your surname at birth? I presume it is the same as your pre-Naturalization surname(?). Nevermind that it doesn't 'match' with your current (new) given name; but why would that matter? If they ever want to do cross-checks, they already have all reqd name information from your green card days.

Regards.

RN

Why not simply provide what they have asked for, i.e. your surname at birth? I presume it is the same as your pre-Naturalization surname(?).
Yes, it is.

Nevermind that it doesn't 'match' with your current (new) given name; but why would that matter?
It just seems inconsistent to me. I would rather provide either new full name or old full name. Besides, my son's birth certificate does not have my old surname, so I would have to submit my naturalisation certificate and a name change court decree with his passport application (to prove I am his father). I was wondering if there was an easier way for both me and the Dept of State.