Never worked for sponsor. Can spouse get citizenship without problems?

young16

Registered Users (C)
I've never worked for my GC sponsor. They processed my GC as a future employee. After I got my green card I couldn't leave my present employer because of a variety of reasons (such as losing all my pension money because it vests only after 5 years, sponsor was not very keen in taking me in because of changes to their company's strategy and a bunch of other reasons). I really had the intent to join the sponsor when I applied for GC but there is no way I can prove it. Now there are two more years to go before I become eligible for citizenship. If my wife applies for citizenship will she be able to get it? Or will they ask documents related to my employment history too and seeing that I've not worked for the sponsor, they will reject her application?

Please help me guys. I'm very worried.

Citizenship does not depend on employment.Specially for spouses.She could be house wife.But I would think when you go in.You might beasked bunch of questions if you GC was emplyment based and you never worked for the company.Most if us how that route goes.:)

Thanks.

Let me clarify. I won' be getting citizenship. Only my wife will. Once she gets it we will return to our home country and we may come back after 10 years or so. I just want to get citizenship for one of us so that we can come back later.

Would you guys please reply?

Do not worry because in your wife's application there is no place where they ask for your employment history or your sponser.May be it can be a problem in your Naturalization application I'm not sure about that.
Good luck
God Bless America

Like dckaraja indicated, your wife's Naturalization is not dependent on your employment history. She shouldn't have any problems. She should list her employment history in the N-400.

young16 said:
Thanks.

Let me clarify. I won' be getting citizenship. Only my wife will. Once she gets it we will return to our home country and we may come back after 10 years or so. I just want to get citizenship for one of us so that we can come back later.

There would be a potential problem if you intend to stay out of the US for more than 2 years (ie. 10 years or so) on a green card.

Let's say your wife's naturalization goes through without issues and she becomes a US citizen....she can stay out of the US for as long as she likes and she would be alright (meaning, she won't have any issues when she comes back to the States).

HOWEVER, if you are still a Permanent Resident (ie. Green Card holder), you might have issues returning to the US. I am not sure how many re-entry permits you can get back to back so that you don't loose your GC status.

Thank you all!

It's ok that I lose my GC. If we come back I can get a GC through my wife and the fact that I may have to wait for a few years to get entry is fine.

Thanks again.

young16 said:
Thank you all!

It's ok that I lose my GC. If we come back I can get a GC through my wife and the fact that I may have to wait for a few years to get entry is fine.

Thanks again.
I am not an expert on this kind of corner cases, and unfortunately people haven't shared stories like yours. Lot of people ask your same or similar question but few or none care to come back and tell us how there naturalization process went.

In your case I would think your Green Card status is iffy, as it would seem that the although you had your best intentions you never honored the spirit of the green card application. However, with AC21 and a bunch of other things I am not sure what an officer would do about your case. It would look like your wife should be ok. However, depending of timing I think your case could unroll in which if USCIS decides to revoke your GC then all your family gets affected, and I think for a period of time even her citizenship could be in danger, because it was based in a faulty green card.

Anyway, don't want to scare you, most likely than not you're going to be fine. Check the law with regard to period for administrative revocation of citizenship or something to that effect.

My 2 cents.

Am I correct in thinking you were married before you got your GC, and thus your wife obtained hers as a derivative of your application? If that is the case, you could both have a problem if USCIS were to take an interest in how you obtained your LPR.

That said, I see no reason why your wife would have a problem during her naturalization, as USCIS will not be examining your employment history.

On an unrelated note, I strongly suggest your wife does not mention anything about an intention to live abroad. If the IO were to get that impression during interview, he may well deny the case based on intent to abandon residency.