Neice 11 Years old, her parents want to send her to the US.. What kind of visa she needs?

adnanusa

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

My sister and her husband want to send their 11 years daughter to come here in the US to go to school for 6 months for the purpose of learning the English language and getting exposed to the culture and people instead of her being in a closed environment in Saudi Arabia. She is a Yemeni Citizen living in Saudi Arabia.

My question is, basically we are not sure how to start the process...What kind of visa is she going to need? do we need to get her an approval from a school? what should we do? Please note the following:

1. My niece is 11 years old.
2. Her parents want to send her to the US to live with me and my wife (I am a green card holder) for 6 months.
3. They are not planning to come live here with her while she is here...We will arrange for the little girl to come here with a relative in case you were wondering how is she arriving here.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated... By the way I got my green card with the help of this forum. So thanks to everyone who is helping here.

Thanks again

Any responses please?? My sister doesnt speak english and she is on my head everyday!!! Please help!!!!

in all honesty this is probably not going to work out. 6 months is too long for a visitor visa. try place like dubai instead.

What Visa do you recommend then? What if we wanted it to be 1 year instead?

No one is there for the Kid in Dubai. We need the USA.

Thank you in advance for your help

Hi, I hope I can help. I had a similar case 2 months ago. My nephew and niece stayed with me for about 3 months with a visitor visa. Their parents were wainting for the answer from a job in the US and sent the kids earlier so they could get a head start with school and the language. Unfortunately, job offer did not work out. But the thing is kids came with a visitor visa, a relative brought them with a letter signed by parents authorizing the kids to travel with relative. At school, since they were not my kids, I had to go to Court and apply for Guardianship. While I was waiting for the hearing, I took the Guardianship paperwork from Court and showed it at school with passports and shot records for the kids and they weere accepted. Unfortunately, they had to go back. Hopefully they will be able to come back again even just for visiting.

Hope this helps, the difference with your case is the length of time your niece is staying. But I think because of her age, a visitor visa will be enough for a short time, maybe 5-6 months. Do not know anything for a year though.
Good luck! Aaaand I am with you... sometimes they can get on your head!!! But we still love them!!! :eek:

In our case, my family already had their visas. I do not know if your niece still needs to apply for a visa and I am not sure if at the interview she should say about coming to study... I have no idea about that... :confused:

There is no 1 year visa for the purposes you describe.As you told in your previous post, you hold a green card. If that is the case you can sponsor your kid.

In our case, my family already had their visas. I do not know if your niece still needs to apply for a visa and I am not sure if at the interview she should say about coming to study... I have no idea about that... :confused: