Need to complete Defensive Driving for citizenship?

egrizzly

Registered Users (C)
Ok, so I take all my documents required for my N-400 interview. The immigration officer asks me if I have had any tickets so I told her I just got a ticket 2 weeks prior to my interview (mind you the interview had been booked like 5 weeks even before the traffic ticket). She then proceeds to update my application and tells me I have to get a copy of the ticket, plus provide "proof" that I had completed "defensive driving" to show the "final disposition".

Plus secondly the traffic ticket that I did receive and designate on my N-400 needed a proof of payment. I had obtained a signed letter from the judge stating that the ticket had been paid in full. Signed letter from the judge yet the officer required that I go back to the court and obtain the printed receipt from the cash register.

She tells me that it is only after I got all these documents and mailed them back to her that she can book another appointment for me! Is this not all too ridiculous as I have never had any convictions for neither misdemeanor, nor felony, and have no other issues with my N-400. The only difference is that I have no money and cannot afford an attorney whereas probably more than half of the others came with some type of attorney or expert.

Theoretically if I get a traffic citation before I go to each interview will this not be an ever ending circle....smh

You are taking this personally. And no it has nothing to do with your not having an attorney. Look not only did you get a ticket, you were told to take a course in defensive driving and that is much more serious. So drive safely not just to get citizenship but to protect your life and that of others in the world. Do the paperwork and you will soon be happy like the rest of us citizens.

Were you required to take a defensive driving course as part of the fine, or did the IO instruct you to take the defensive driving course on her own accord?

Were you required to take a defensive driving course as part of the fine, or did the IO instruct you to take the defensive driving course on her own accord?

The OP got the ticket only 2 weeks ago. Unless he paid the fine, most likely he has not gone to court yet. I personally believe there
is some misunderstanding here. Possibilities are

(1) The OP paid the fine but the IO know the traffic laws in the state and know the defensive driving class is uslaly needed for that kind of offense so required the OP to finish it
(2) The OP has pleaded anything yet and the case is still pending for a court date. The IO only suggest finishing defensive driving classe as an example of what the OP should do in case he was found guilty but the OP mistook it as a requirement

I think what the OP should do is just to get the triffic ticket settled and do what the state court required him to do.

If the judge found him to be not guilty, then he does not need to finish anything. If he is guilty, then just finish
whatever the juddgd orders (fine, driving class, whatever) and then rpovide documents of completion to the USCIS

My husband had to do that when he applied for citizenship. better do it before court(if only we knew then), this will probably dismiss it depending on the situation?
BTW, what did you get ticket for?