Need some help with directions for TN Visa stamping at Fort Erie

leadpathfinder

Hello all,

I am going to Fort Erie border to get an I-94 for TN visa stamping on Friday. I will be returning to Canada immediately and not entering the United States on the same day

I will be arriving at Knights Inn hotel at peace bridge the night before and then heading out in the morning to get my TN.

will not have an access to car. Can I take an Uber to the CBP border post and then take an Uber back from there or do I need to rent a car. Secondly, if I rent a car, will I be entering US border to make a U-turn to return to Canada ?

Completely clueless, so any help would be appreciated.

Finally, is Fort Erie same as Peace Bridge and Rainbow bridge and what is the experience of people at fort erie for TN stamping?

Any of the three POE can be used to obtain your TN.
Queenston-Lewiston Bridge , Queenston, ON/Lewiston, NY
Rainbow Bridge , Niagara Falls, ON/Niagara Falls, NY
Peace Bridge , Fort Erie, ON/Buffalo, NY

You can walk (30min from your hotel per google maps) or Uber to Canadian side of Rainbow bridge, then walk across the Rainbow Bridge to US. At the CBP booth, you state your purpose of your visit as "to request TN status". They will direct you to the building to go inside and speak a CBP officer. They will fingerprint you, photograph you, request your petition, original degree/diploma, original transcripts, etc. They may call your employer to verify. Who know what else they do. I am sure they run your fingerprints through some FBI database to look for criminal history.
As long as you meet the criteria for TN status, you should be approved in 15-20min.

No difference between the three POE's, it all depends on the strength of your petition, not the individual CBP officer. If the first officer gives you a hard time, request to speak to a supervisor.

I used the Queenston-Lewiston POE almost 4 years ago, no concerns. I drove my own car and after obtaining TN, I drove to Niagara falls to open US bank account, have lunch, then returned to Canada a few hour latter. I flew out of YYZ to LAX a few days later on my new TN status.

Any of the three POE can be used to obtain your TN.
Queenston-Lewiston Bridge , Queenston, ON/Lewiston, NY
Rainbow Bridge , Niagara Falls, ON/Niagara Falls, NY
Peace Bridge , Fort Erie, ON/Buffalo, NY

They may call your employer to verify. Who know what else they do. I am sure they run your fingerprints through some FBI database to look for criminal history.

I have told the employer to remain standby to receive a call.

Can you please confirm that they fingerprint and photograph everyone and the process flow below i.e which happens first.

You enter, declare to the CBP Officer that you are here to petition for TN visa, present the petition, answer any questions, finger print and photograph, pay the fees, get I-94 and move out.

I don't recall the exact sequence. I do recall paying $56, $50 for TN and $6 for paper I-94 card. I am not sure if they still issue paper I-94 or if it is all online now. You can obtain your I-94 afterward at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home
Yes, I am sure they fingerprint and photography everybody who applies. They are looking for criminal history, known watch list, using false identity, etc. If you have criminal charges in US, Canada or another country that has agreement with FBI, I am sure they will identify you.
If you have no criminal history you have nothing to worry about.

Thank you and noted. I am all clear otherwise and just wanted to know the sequence.
I will come back and post my experiences here. Just spoke to my lawyers who said that paper I-94 will be issued and attached in the passport. No stamping will be done on the passport as it is electronically linked.

I forgot to ask a question in earlier context - Once I have the I-94, do I need to go to the CBP officer to get an entry stamp or once approved, i just drive into US and I-94 is considered an entry stamp. Thanks in advance and sorry for the flurry of questions.

once they say you are approved, they will stamp your Canadian passport with the normal circular stamp and put "TN" in the status field and put the expiry date (typically three years from approval). (typically they put B1 or B2 in the status field, if they stamp your passport as visitor or short term business). Yes, your passport number is electronically linked to your TN status and expiry date.
By entering the CBP building you have entered the US. When done, you can walk back across the bridge and enter Canada again.

also, looks like you need to bring 8 quarters with you, to pay the bridge toll, $1 each way for pedestrians (CDN or US$), according to TripAdvisor.

Amberleaf..... how much time was there between when you applied for your TN and your start date on your paperwork?

Originally I was going to go to Pearson and apply, but I was told that I couldn’t do that without a flight booked. So I planned to drive to the rainbow bridge to apply. My job is in Orlando, but one of the first jobs I’ve been assigned to is in Atlanta (there’s a lot of travel for the job within the US)
I’m nervous about applying at Pearson with a flight booked to Atlanta seeing as the office is in Orlando
Do you think if I drive down to apply and then drive back to fly to Atlanta from Pearson it would be a problem?

Word of advice to the OP. Do not just tell the officer you'll get TN and turn back. Formally enter the US and spend a few hours and then head back. I've heard they don't like people doing this so better safe than sorry

I was thinking the same thing. I’d love to apply and come back and pack up my things then drive down. But it might just be better to apply and have my things with me.

Finally, is Fort Erie same as Peace Bridge and Rainbow bridge and what is the experience of people at fort erie for TN stamping?

Just a reply to this ques..
The Peace Bridge is located in Fort Erie on the Canadian side. It is not the same as the Rainbow Bridge which is a few miles north.

Just got back from a long weekend trip to Canada. No, I'm not on TN. Am a USC. Entered Canada through the Peace Bridge crossing and returned back to the US through the Thousand Islands Bridge crossing. Smooth sailing on both occasions.