Need some clarification on GC for Parent

Immigr8

Super Moderator
Hello All,
I'm planning to apply for a CG for my mom who lives overseas. I just want to get some clarification on the process and timeline

- Apply I-130 for my mom (can i do that even though she lives overseas?)
- How long does it take to get approved? (Boston)
- Once it's approved, do I need to then file the I-485?
- Does she have to be in the US for the I-485? (I'm thinking she will need to get fingerprinted, interview etc)
- How long does it take for the I-485 to get approved?
- What's the time generally from I-130 to getting a green card? 1, 2 3 years?

Thanks

Hello All,
I'm planning to apply for a CG for my mom who lives overseas. I just want to get some clarification on the process and timeline

- Apply I-130 for my mom (can i do that even though she lives overseas?)
yes

- How long does it take to get approved? (Boston)
a few months

- Once it's approved, do I need to then file the I-485?
First of all, I-485 is the form to apply for Adjustment of Status, which is the process of getting permanent residency from inside the US. Since she is abroad, she will go through Consular Processing abroad for an immigrant visa, which does not involve I-485 at all. For Consular Processing, you just wait to be contacted by NVC and the consulate after the petition is approved. (And if she were doing Adjustment of Status, she wouldn't need to wait until the I-130 is approved to file I-485 -- she can file I-130 and I-485 together.)

- Does she have to be in the US for the I-485? (I'm thinking she will need to get fingerprinted, interview etc)
Yes. So she is not filing I-485 and will instead be going through Consular Processing abroad.

- What's the time generally from I-130 to getting a green card? 1, 2 3 years?
From filing the petition to getting the immigrant visa abroad can take about a year, although it varies by consulate.

I'm in the same boat. Do I apply for I-130 and when approved my parents will be informed to appear for interview? When do I file the I-864 Affidavit of Support? Also is g-325A still required for Biographic Information? Thanks.

I'm in the same boat. Do I apply for I-130 and when approved my parents will be informed to appear for interview? When do I file the I-864 Affidavit of Support? Also is g-325A still required for Biographic Information? Thanks.
The Affidavit of Support will be requested in the Consular Processing process. G-325A is no longer used by any forms.