Need Help.... DESPERADO

julian19

Hello,

I have been married to a US citizen for 3 months now. We have been living together for almost a year and a half. We just had a beautiful baby boy. Everything was perfect until recently my wife kinda has started acting weird. I have been abused all these times but I was trying to work things out. Now It seems that she doesn't want me any more. My question to you all is ... I haven't applied for a green card. I came to the States on a B-1 almost 3 years ago and I overstayed my visa. I am in hot soup. PLEASE HELP ???

Re: Need Help

Hello JK,

I am not an expert... but I believe that you have the right to petition to stay here if you have been in an abusive situation with your American spouse. Since you have a baby together, I would think you should also have more right to stay here.

If you've overstayed your visa and haven't filed for a visa to stay here as a spouse of a U.S. Citizen, you should file for that immediately. However, I've read newspaper articles about spouses being deported when their paperwork was late. Sometimes it is the immigrations officials that are late in processing the paperwork. Other times it is the immigrants themselves that are late in filing the paperwork.

Can you afford to see an immigration lawyer for advice? Where are you located?

Karen

thank you for concern

Hello there,

I have been married to this girl for almost 3 months now. I have been living with her for a year and half now. We are still married. We just had a baby boy. He was a little premature. ( 5 and 1/2 weeks). He is still in the hospital cause they said they gonna monitor him for a couple of weeks more.

My wife has a severe problem. She gets off on me for no reason. She threathens to commit suicide. She even took like a whole bunch of tylenol pills. I had to call 911 for help. I asked her why she took those pills. She says that her mom had called and she got all pissed off. I had to call her social worker because I was really worried that she would do something like that in the future. Her social worker advised me that I should take her to the emergency mental clinic. I took her to the clinic and there I found out that she was mentally and physically abused by her father when she was 17. She was even admitted to a mental clinic in Pennsylvania for 7 or 8 months forcibly by her parents. They are not there real parents. She was adopted from India when she was 6 yrs. old. I am here at Denver. I always call her grandmom who is a very sweet lady. She knows everythings that going on. She always advises me what to do and what not to. My wife threaten to leave me a couple of days ago. She says she doesn't care about the baby. She packed her bags and then she was ready to leave. I was worried and then call 911 for help. The cops got over and try to control her because she is always violent. The cops told me that they can do nothing becuase she is an adult and she wants to leave. I call her grandma rightaway she says if she wants to leave, let her go, you can do nothing about it. I am so worried. She left and got back in couple of hours. She says she doesn't wanna leave now. But she is always violent. I work 6 days a week, 10 hrs a day. I go to see my baby rightaway after work then go back home. When I get back home there goes trouble. She abuses me , uses an F word, call me names etc. etc. and then starts to fight for no reason. She smokes inside our apartment. I asked her not to smoke inside the apartment but she doesn't care. There are so many things she has done to me. I am so helpless. Please advise. Thank you.....Julian

for Julian

Hello Julian,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. May I ask where you are from? Do you have papers that prove your wife's psychiatric problems? You can tell immigrations that you had no idea that she had all these mental problems and that she is violent and that you are concerned about your baby son - that you need to remain in the USA to keep your son safe!

I am in Wisconsin, so I am far from Denver. I wish that I could help.

In abusive cases, especially with proof (that you called 911, that she was taken to hospital, etc.) you may be able to convince them at immigrations that it is in your son's best interest for you to remain in the USA.

Are you and your wife living together? Did you ever file papers together after you married? Under what circumstances did you first come to the USA? Was it for marriage? How did you and your wife meet?

That is so good that her grandmom is understanding and that you can call her for advice. Would she be willing to write and sign a letter (and get it notarized) for you to bring to immigrations, regarding the mental instability of your wife? It could help.

Smoking is not good for the baby. It sounds like she doesn't care about the baby at all. Did she smoke during her pregnancy? It could be part of the reason why the baby was pre-mature. I pray that your son will be okay and that he can come home from the hospital soon. And I pray that you will both be safe and happy in life.

Pregnancy and after-birth can cause problems (such as post-partum depression). But it sounds like your wife had psychiatric issues long before you met her and married.

Let me know if I can help with anything. I really do not know what else to advise you.

Karen