Need Help:After oath taking how long for the PASSPORT

Canada

Registered Users (C)
Dear Friends:

I am working in US on H1b and my Oath taking for Canadian citizenship is end of April.

How long does it take to get the Canadian Passport after the Oath ceremony?Then should I come to US with the Canadian Passport

OR

Should I go to the US consulate in Toronto to get a US stamp in my Indian Passport...Do they give the passport the same day or next day....

Your help will be greatly appreciated

Any suggestions......

Canada,
How long it took you after you applied for Citizenship to get a Test date and Oat ceremony.
You will only be given Citizenship card and then you need to apply for Passport in passport office. It takes about two weeks to obtain a passport in Canada.
Please let me know your dates. I appreciate your reponse.

how long?

Hi Canada, can you pls provide the some info regarding your app ...
When did you apply for cdn citizenship? Were you in US all the time OR did you move after completing 3 yrs of canadian residence and applying for your citizenship?

Thanks.

Applied for Canadian Citizenship in Oct 2002
Exam was in end of Feb this year
and Oath taking is end of April

I have H1b.

To Canada, which province do you stay now? I applied in last May and stay at Vancouver, B.C. In 1/03 CIC requested me to take fingerprint and then now I still don't receive any notice for the test. Is anyone has same situation? :confused:

I have applied for my citizenship in Last September from Toronto. So far i have not heard anything back from CIC. Everytime i call them they tell me that my applicaiton is going through the background checks.

Canada

You are a Canadian citizen the day you take your oath and you cease to be an Indian citizen since India does not yet support the notion of dual citizenship. Your Indian passport ceases to be valid and cannot legally be used for travel purposes. Refer to the following BCIS (INS) web page for what is required of Canadian citizens:

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/shared/lawenfor/bmgmt/inspect/docrequirements.htm

Here's the relevant portion:

Entry of Citizens of Canada
Citizens of Canada are exempt from the visa and passport requirement of Immigration and Nationality Act section 212(a)(7). To enter the United States, a Canadian citizen must be able to establish both identity and citizenship. Documents that may establish citizenship are: birth certificate, citizenship certificate, and passport. Although the Immigration Inspector may accept an oral declaration of citizenship, it is recommended that a Canadian citizen carry a document that establishes citizenship. Under current procedures, all travelers may be required to present photo-identification. NOTE: A Canadian citizen arriving from outside the Western Hemisphere is required to present a passport. Canadian citizens classified as Treaty Trader, Treaty Investor, or Fiancé(e) require a visa

Whatever document you receive from the Canadian authorities on the day of your oath ceremony ought to be adequate to prove Canadian citizenship to the US authorities at the port of entry.

Thanks for your reply

I appreciated your response and valuable information.

Had applied for Canadian citizenship from Toronto after completing 3 yrs of residency in Canada and then later moved to USA on H1

For Canada!

Hi Canada,

Did you get your passport? How did you go about applying? I am in a similar situation to yours, having worked in the US for about a year now. Residency requirement complete before moving to the US. Getting ready for the oath and need to apply for the passport. Did you apply in Canada or in the US?

Thanks a bunch for the response,
monster