• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

need help about country of eligibility !!

hisham28

Registered Users (C)
hello all
i am EGYPTIAN nationality and live in EGYPT but i was born in KUWAIT (note i don't have KUWAIT nationality or citizenship ) my only nationality is egyptian
the problem is about this question # Are you claiming eligibility based on the country where you were born? YES/NO
what does this question mean ?
does claiming eligibility mean the Country I have a nationality?
under this question there is a note telling me " country of eligibility will normally be the same as your country of birth. Your country of eligibility is not related to where you live"
i think this problem in middle east country only because when you born in one of the middle east country that is not mean you are citizenship
for example i was born in KUWAIT but i don't have KUWAIT nationality !!
i really tired from this question i just want right answer
thank you

country of citizenship !!!
you are egyptian... and I am sure you do have an egyptian passport...

Put Kuwait if applying on your own claim. it needs place of Birth. please do make sure you have your Birth certificate to prove.

you could use Egypt (better chances as in Africa 50% v/s kuwait Asia 15%) if you claim based on your parents being born in Egypt.

Claim one not both.

Formites please confirm my understanding.

thank you Dv2012AFTAZ and Imahira for reply
but i can't understand to yet
Are you claiming eligibility based on the country where you were born? YES/NO
does eligibility mean Country I have a nationality ? or where i was born ?
i think immigration site think when some one born in a place so he is an citizenship !!
please i just want answer i don't want think anymore !! just need correct answer please
YES or NO ?
thank you to all

thank you Dv2012AFTAZ and Imahira for reply
but i can't understand to yet
Are you claiming eligibility based on the country where you were born? YES/NO
does eligibility mean Country I have a nationality ? or where i was born ?
i think immigration site think when some one born in a place so he is an citizenship !!
please i just want answer i don't want think anymore !! just need correct answer please
YES or NO ?
thank you to all

"Native of a qualifying country: In most cases, this means the country in which you were born.
However, there are two other ways you may be able to qualify. First, if you were born in a country whose
natives are ineligible but your spouse was born in a country whose natives are eligible, you can claim
your spouse’s country of birth—provided that both you and your spouse are on the selected entry, are
issued visas, and enter the United States simultaneously. Second, if you were born in a country whose
natives are ineligible, but neither of your parents was born there or resided there at the time of your birth,
you may claim nativity in one of your parents’ countries of birth if it is a country whose natives qualify for
the DV-2013 program."

Means country of Birth (not citizenship) - on first taught you have to apply as Kuwait YES

However read the above and see if you meet the standard because applying from Africa (Egypt) has greater chances v/s Asia (Kuwait)

"Native of a qualifying country: In most cases, this means the country in which you were born.
However, there are two other ways you may be able to qualify. First, if you were born in a country whose
natives are ineligible but your spouse was born in a country whose natives are eligible, you can claim
your spouse’s country of birth—provided that both you and your spouse are on the selected entry, are
issued visas, and enter the United States simultaneously. Second, if you were born in a country whose
natives are ineligible, but neither of your parents was born there or resided there at the time of your birth,
you may claim nativity in one of your parents’ countries of birth if it is a country whose natives qualify for
the DV-2013 program."

Means country of Birth (not citizenship) - on first taught you have to apply as Kuwait YES

However read the above and see if you meet the standard because applying from Africa (Egypt) has greater chances v/s Asia (Kuwait)
understood
that is mean i can apply as kuwait as a country of birth even if don't have KUWAIT nationality ,right ?

Yes for sure
how about if i can apply as egypt country of eligibility
i think i can answer this question Are you claiming eligibility based on the country where you were born? NO
then i can Choose EGYPT as country of eligibility and this in case of one of my parents born in EGYPT
right ?

how about if i can apply as egypt country of eligibility
i think i can answer this question Are you claiming eligibility based on the country where you were born? NO
then i can Choose EGYPT as country of eligibility and this in case of one of my parents born in EGYPT
right ?

I think for this we need some real advice from an expert. If you see the instruction

"Second, if you were born in a country whose
Natives are ineligible, but neither of your parents was born there or resided there at the time of your birth,
You may claim nativity in one of your parents’ countries of birth if it is a country whose natives qualify for
The DV-2013 program."

it say IF you are born in a country whose natives are ineligible- in your case you are born in a eligible country so that may not work parse.
so Kuwait maybe your only choice

I think for this we need some real advice from an expert. If you see the instruction

Natives are ineligible, but neither of your parents was born there or resided there at the time of your birth,
You may claim nativity in one of your parents’ countries of birth if it is a country whose natives qualify for
The DV-2013 program."

it say IF you are born in a country whose natives are ineligible- in your case you are born in a eligible country so that may not work parse.
absolutely you are right
and i am worried about if i applying as egypt it will be wrong because egypt is ony second choose iى case of i was not ineligible but KUWAIT is eligible
i think my only anwer should be KUWAIT as a country of birth ,and my answer should be yes but i am very worried about this answer because every one telling me country of citizenship not country of birth
thank you very much Dv2012AFTAZ

absolutely you are right
and i am worried about if i applying as egypt it will be wrong because egypt is ony second choose iى case of i was not ineligible but KUWAIT is eligible
i think my only anwer should be KUWAIT as a country of birth ,and my answer should be yes but i am very worried about this answer because every one telling me country of citizenship not country of birth
thank you very much Dv2012AFTAZ

It is not your country of citizenship, it's your country of birth. So, if your birth certificate says "born in Kuwait", you have to say YES to the question "Are you claiming eligibility based on the country where you were born?". If Kuwait would not be eligible, then you could go with Egypt as your parents' country of birth.

There are a lot of countries that do not give you Citizenship just because you were born there. Hope this helps.

It is not your country of citizenship, it's your country of birth. So, if your birth certificate says "born in Kuwait", you have to say YES to the question "Are you claiming eligibility based on the country where you were born?". If Kuwait would not be eligible, then you could go with Egypt as your parents' country of birth.

There are a lot of countries that do not give you Citizenship just because you were born there. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE
KUWAIT is eligible and birth of certificate says that i was born in KUWAIT but i was worried about citizenship
i will answer yes as KUWAIT and your answer really helps me
thank you Firi

السلام عليكم
أخي العزيز هشام
دعني اوضح بعض النقاط لحضرتك
اولا بامكانك دخول السحب على الجرين كارد
1-اذا كانت الجنسية التي كنت تحملها من بلد مسموح لها بالمشاركة في السحب (نظرا لوجود بلاد لا يمكنها المشاركة)فهذه نقطة واضحة
2-اذا كانت الجنسية التي تحملها من بلد لا يمكنها المشاركة في السحب يمكنك الدخول عن طريق البلد التي ولدت فيها (طبعا في حال بلد الولادة غير بلد الجنسية)حتى لو كنت لا تحمل جنسيتها
3-في حال كنت متزوج وكانت زوجتك تحمل جنسية او ولدت في بلد مسموح لها بالدخول في السحب بامكانك الدخول في السحب على نفس البلد التي ولدت زوجتك فيها او تحمل جنسيتها

الان نصيحتي الشخصية ضع الكويت هي البلد التي تود المشاركة في السحب عن طريقها (طبعا اذا كان هناك اثبات انك ولدت هناك)لان مصر فرصة نجاحك في السحب قليلة نظرا للكم الهائل الذي يشاركون في السحب من مصر
اما الكويت فالعدد معقول فانت تتنافس معهم فقط وليس مع 30 مليون واحد يدخل السحب

فالقرار يعود لك
تحياتي

Yep, I do agree with FerasAwad,
You can claim eligibility based on both egypt and kuwait
but if you claimed eligibility based on country of birth, kuwait, your chance will be better if you got selected
Check visa bulliten, Egypt always has cut-off number different from many other african countries.

still it's a lottery, and the chance of winning is minimal
but if you win and claimed eligibility based on kuwait, there is nothing else you need apart from preparing for the interview. whereas, if win and you claimed eligibility based on egypt, you need a miracle to go further because your case number should be low to be called for an interview

Good luck for all of you

I disagree. Here is what the instructions say:

Native of a qualifying country: In most cases, this means the country in which you were born.
the DV-2013 program.

It clearly states that you can apply under Egypt only IF Kuwait is ineligible (in this case it is).

I am in the same situation. I was born in Estonia, however I selected Ukraine as my country of chargeability on the DV entry because my spouse was born in Ukraine. I also have a Ukrainian passport and I do not have any paperwork from Estonia besides the birth certificate. I was advised on this forum that one can claim country of chargeability based on his/her spouse place of birth even if his native country is eligible for DV lottery, but this puts certain restrictions (both husband and wife have to apply for visa together and enter the US also together). In my case both Estonia and Ukraine belong to the same region - Europe, in your case they belong to different regions - Africa and Asia.

My advice is to apply based on your country of birth even if you can claim your country of citizenship based on your spouse or parents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the same situation. I was born in Estonia, however I selected Ukraine as my country of chargeability on the DV entry because my spouse was born in Ukraine. I also have a Ukrainian passport and I do not have any paperwork from Estonia besides the birth certificate. I was advised on this forum that one can claim country of chargeability based on his/her spouse place of birth even if his native country is eligible for DV lottery, but this puts certain restrictions (both husband and wife have to apply for visa together and enter the US also together). In my case both Estonia and Ukraine belong to the same region - Europe, in your case they belong to different regions - Africa and Asia.

My advice is to apply based on your country of birth even if you can claim your country of citizenship based on your spouse or parents.

Can you please provide a link to the thread where this was discussed? The instructions clearly state that you can select your wife's country of birth ONLY if the country where you were born does not qualify. I doubt that you being born in Estonia (which is eligible) can use your wife's country of birth.

I disagree. Here is what the instructions say:

Native of a qualifying country: In most cases, this means the country in which you were born.
the DV-2013 program.

It clearly states that you can apply under Egypt only IF Kuwait is ineligible (in this case it is).
i understand ,you mean EGYPT is second case (claiming eligibility by parents)

The DV-2013 program."

but if you claimed eligibility based on country of birth, kuwait, your chance will be better if you got selected
Check visa bulliten, Egypt always has cut-off number different from many other african countries.

still it's a lottery, and the chance of winning is minimal
but if you win and claimed eligibility based on kuwait, there is nothing else you need apart from preparing for the interview. whereas, if win and you claimed eligibility based on egypt, you need a miracle to go further because your case number should be low to be called for an interview

Good luck for all of you
Dr osama thank you for reply
but i am worried about choose second case EGYPT if the first case is available to me
i think you are in agree with us in claiming eligibility by country of birth
but want ask Are the chances of winning in ASIA (KUWAIT) more than AFRICA (EGYPT) ?