Need Help about B2 visa

Johnkent

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My mom just arrived the US on a 6 months visa and she intended to stay 3 months but at the point of entry , she was given a month.
She is actually here for my graduation and my graduation is not until Dec 14.
How can i go about getting an extention?. I need to figure this out by the end of next wk so that i know if i need to change her ticket so that she can leave before her stay expires. Any opinion will be greatly appreciated.

You can attempt an extesion but think about it from USCIS's perspective. This could have been avoided by a better timed initial entry. Another thing to keep in mind is her restricted I-94. That implies the admitting officer at the POE did not have complete confidence in your mother's intentions. One cannot speculate what notes the POE officer entered into the system. Those notes, if they exist, would be available to the adjudicator of the I-539.

She is actually here for my graduation and my graduation is not until Dec 14.
How can i go about getting an extention?

You can attempt an extesion but think about it from USCIS's perspective. This could have been avoided by a better timed initial entry. Another thing to keep in mind is her restricted I-94. That implies the admitting officer at the POE did not have complete confidence in your mother's intentions. One cannot speculate what notes the POE officer entered into the system. Those notes, if they exist, would be available to the adjudicator of the I-539.

am really confused this time. She already had a paid return ticket for January 27th so i dont understand why this officer couldnt have given her 3 months.
So, wat do you think the chances of an extension will be? She has no intention of staying beyond the 3 months.

Simple. The officer doubted her.

i dont understand why this officer couldnt have given her 3 months.

I personally would not apply for an extension when the applicant is on a restricted I-94. That is just my opinion. Having said that, there is no regulation stopping your mother from filing an I-539.

So, wat do you think the chances of an extension will be? She has no intention of staying beyond the 3 months.

Simple. The officer doubted her.

I personally would not apply for an extension when the applicant is on a restricted I-94. That is just my opinion. Having said that, there is no regulation stopping your mother from filing an I-539.

am still trying to figure out wat u mean by a restricted I-94. Please would u explain. Thanks

Well in that case, her only option is to apply for EOS. Since her visa is single entry, she can take the risk as 222(g) will not be an issue. Who knows, she might just get the extension. I wish her good luck.

FYI:Her US visa is a single entry visa

Well in that case, her only option is to apply for EOS. Since her visa is single entry, she can take the risk as 222(g) will not be an issue. Who knows, she might just get the extension. I wish her good luck.

Thanks sir. Appreciate ur answers. I will get the extension filled sometime next wk after i talk to my senators office. They have always been helpful in helping me out. Thanks again.

Based on her single entry visa and her limited I-94, apply for the EOS expecting that it will be denied but the denial will likely arrive after she has departed. Understand that she is unlikely to be granted a visa in the future based on her demonstated unwillingness to visit according to the entry she was granted. If that is acceptable to you, go for it.

If she wants to demonstrate that she is a good candidate for a visa in the future, she should return home according to her current I-94 date.

Buying non-refundable tickets was a poor choice on your part when she had not arrived and received an I-94.

Based on her single entry visa and her limited I-94, apply for the EOS expecting that it will be denied but the denial will likely arrive after she has departed. Understand that she is unlikely to be granted a visa in the future based on her demonstated unwillingness to visit according to the entry she was granted. If that is acceptable to you, go for it.

If she wants to demonstrate that she is a good candidate for a visa in the future, she should return home according to her current I-94 date.

Buying non-refundable tickets was a poor choice on your part when she had not arrived and received an I-94.

Thanks. am just gonna try for EOS. i'll add as much proof to the application as i can to show that she does intend to leave in 3 months and is here for my graduation which she wont be able to attend if she has to leave in Nov.
I was at the USCIS office today and they couldn't understand why my mom was only granted a month when she was here for a graduation in Dec and also has a return ticket.They asked that i do apply for EOS and with the reason that i had presented, there wont be any reason to deny her extension.(she's here for her sons graduation and also has a return ticket).
They were kind enough to look up her arrival information at the airport but the lady said she couldnt find anything. That it sometimes takes a few days before its updated on the computer. The lady asked me to come back before i mail back the application so she makes sure that i had everything.
She was very sympathetic about the whole situation and she said my mom probably got a CBP officer that wasnt having such a good day.

I once a saw a visitor being issued an I-94 that was valid for just one day.

U must be kidding me. That is just wickedness. The CBP officer should have asked the person to withdraw their application to enter the US and just turn around and go back home.

I overheard the conversation. The entry applicant stated his reason for visiting the US as "transiting on my way to Toronto". So the officer asked him "So I assume you will take the first flight out". The applicant goes "Yes".

I would have done the same if I was the officer :)

U must be kidding me. That is just wickedness. The CBP officer should have asked the person to withdraw their application to enter the US and just turn around and go back home.

I overheard the conversation. The entry applicant stated his reason for visiting the US as "transiting on my way to Toronto". So the officer asked him "So I assume you will take the first flight out". The applicant goes "Yes".

I would have done the same if I was the officer :)

well, that makes sense.