need for SSN to get drivers license in illinois for F2 visa

saifeedori

i am on a F1 visa and my wife is on a F2 visa. we live in chicago and we want to get a drivers license for my wife. but according to illinois law we cannot get a license without an SSN for my wife. and on a F2 she does not get a SSN. Is it true that recently they have changed this rule for illinois and now a F2 Visa holder can get a drivers license from illinois without SSN. I need this information very urgently. so please whoever knows about this please reply asap. Thanks

Hi,
I have joined this group recently . I have the same problem . I am currently on a F2 visa and need a drivers license . Can you please let me know what did you do ??? Did you get a drivers license issued .

Please provide me some help .

You may go to the SS administration office and ask them to give you a statement saying that your wife is not eligible for a SSN.

in the state of Georgia, people ineligible for SSN, need to bring this statement to the DMV to get a driver's license.

Even though u dont have ssn, u can still get th license,
- u need to submit a letter( copy of ur ssn/i797 and ur wife's visa) saying that ur wife cannot get ssn
- get that letter to dmv along with 2 proofs of residence