• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Need answers on my Immigrant Visa situation

kirtmallari

Hi guys I'm asking for help and advice on my situation. I'm one of the Dv 2018 winners. I'm currently here in Micronesia to visit my family before proceeding to my final US address. As a part of the route to get here, I had a transit in Guam. So the immigration officer processed and endorsed my Immigrant Visa with the stamp and everything that comes with. I have a booked flight on the 5th of August to my final US address. But I wanna know if i could extend my stay here in Micronesia beyond my Immigrant visa expiry date of August 11 2019.
Your help and answers would be such great help.

Additionally I've read threads here and on USCIS official website that would give me answers. Knowing that my status is a permanent resident and that I could extend my stay, I just wanna be complete certain for peace of mind.

UPDATE: I even contacted USCIS contact center to verify if I could extend my stay but the agent told me I must proceed to my final US address before expiry date on IV even though my IV has been endorsed and stamped. I'm now really confused on what to do and would really love to extend time with my family here in Micronesia.

I’m confused. You won DV2018? So is the 11 Aug 2019 you talk about, the one year end date of the endorsement on the visa? How long have you spent outside US territory? Or did you actually mean DV2019?

Hi guys I'm asking for help and advice on my situation. I'm one of the Dv 2018 winners. I'm currently here in Micronesia to visit my family before proceeding to my final US address. As a part of the route to get here, I had a transit in Guam. So the immigration officer processed and endorsed my Immigrant Visa with the stamp and everything that comes with. I have a booked flight on the 5th of August to my final US address. But I wanna know if i could extend my stay here in Micronesia beyond my Immigrant visa expiry date of August 11 2019.
Your help and answers would be such great help.

Additionally I've read threads here and on USCIS official website that would give me answers. Knowing that my status is a permanent resident and that I could extend my stay, I just wanna be complete certain for peace of mind.

UPDATE: I even contacted USCIS contact center to verify if I could extend my stay but the agent told me I must proceed to my final US address before expiry date on IV even though my IV has been endorsed and stamped. I'm now really confused on what to do and would really love to extend time with my family here in Micronesia.

Why are you gambling with this??? Get to the USA before the expiry date. Why risk compromising your status based on what some dude on the internet says?! If you want you can turn right around and go back to your family.

I’m confused. You won DV2018? So is the 11 Aug 2019 you talk about, the one year end date of the endorsement on the visa? How long have you spent outside US territory? Or did you actually mean DV2019?

sorry if it's all confusing. dv 2018. Dateof endorsement(stamp) is July 17 2019. And Immigrant visa expiry date is August 11 2019

Why are you gambling with this??? Get to the USA before the expiry date. Why risk compromising your status based on what some dude on the internet says?! If you want you can turn right around and go back to your family.

I already did enter the USA at my transit to Guam on my way here to Micronesia. Or do you mean to my final US address

I know sir. It's really complicated. I just wanna know if it's okay to stay out of the US passed the immigrant visa expiry date?

Please note sir/maam that my Immigrant Visa has already been endorsed/stamped in Guam
The immigrant visa's expiration date is no longer relevant after you entered the US with it. Once you entered the US with your immigrant visa, you are a US permanent resident, and you can take brief trips outside the US like any other permanent resident.

The immigrant visa, upon being stamped on entry, became an I-551 (equivalent to a green card) for one year from your date of entry. You can use it to re-enter the US during that one year even if it's past the original immigrant visa's expiration date.

The immigrant visa's expiration date is no longer relevant after you entered the US with it. Once you entered the US with your immigrant visa, you are a US permanent resident, and you can take brief trips outside the US like any other permanent resident.

The immigrant visa, upon being stamped on entry, became an I-551 (equivalent to a green card) for one year from your date of entry. You can use it to re-enter the US during that one year even if it's past the original immigrant visa's expiration date.

That's what exactly on my mind sir/maam. Despite reading all the answers online I was still frantic and wanted others' thought on this. Greatly appreciate the help!

But I just could not wrap my head around that the agent of USCIC and the consulate here in Micronesia told me to follow the expiry date.

Last edited:
sorry if it's all confusing. dv 2018. Dateof endorsement(stamp) is July 17 2019. And Immigrant visa expiry date is August 11 2019

The immigrant visa expiry date no longer matters, the one year from date of endorsement is what matters once you have entered with it. That part is not confusing, many people have done this. But I can't make sense of your dates, because DV2018 ended on 30 September 2018, so the latest possible entry on a visa from DV2018 would have been 29 March 2019 ... not August 2019.

The immigrant visa expiry date no longer matters, the one year from date of endorsement is what matters once you have entered with it. That part is not confusing, many people have done this. But I can't make sense of your dates, because DV2018 ended on 30 September 2018, so the latest possible entry on a visa from DV2018 would have been 29 March 2019 ... not August 2019.

That is exactly how I comprehended it. I was still hesitant tho. My mistake on my DV year. It's DV 2019.
Thanks so much for helping out!

Make sure when checking in with the airline not to refer to it as a "visa", as they will look at the visa's expiration date and deny you boarding. Rather, refer to it as an I-551 / temporary green card.

The visa foil (visa sticker on the passport) should have a notation "upon endorsement serves as i551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year".

Make sure when checking in with the airline not to refer to it as a "visa", as they will look at the visa's expiration date and deny you boarding. Rather, refer to it as an I-551 / temporary green card.

Have you had any experience? i'll be flying United. Any thoughts ?

Honestly just continue on with your journey as planned. You can always come back but there’s no point in risking your status.