Need advice-wrong payee on the money order

Feb2005

Registered Users (C)
Hi!

I need some advice/recommendation to this problem of my sister. She sent her i-130 and i-1485 application to Chicago in January. However, she made the money order payable to USCIS instead of DHS. Now, she called cust svcs in Jan and they told her to wait for a letter from uscis, which would have instruction as to how to file properly or some such. Now, it's been over 3 months and no news of such letter. And they didn't cash tht money order either.

In this case, I've been telling my sister at this point just to go ahead and send another application, but I was wondering if anyone here has any advice for her or have been through similar scenario and how it was sorted out. Anyone thinks it might be a problem if she sends another application anyway?

Advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks!!

Immigration fees should be made payable to Department of Homeland Security or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Your sister did fine.
In general, if there was a problem with amount or payee, then USCIS wouldn’t bother with letters, they would just reject an application and send a whole package back.
I don’t know why they didn’t cash your sister’s money order yet, but tell her to wait… for NOA, for her money order to get cashed, just wait. Another application is not necessary.

I agree

Immigration fees should be made payable to Department of Homeland Security or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Your sister did fine.
In general, if there was a problem with amount or payee, then USCIS wouldn’t bother with letters, they would just reject an application and send a whole package back.
I don’t know why they didn’t cash your sister’s money order yet, but tell her to wait… for NOA, for her money order to get cashed, just wait. Another application is not necessary.

I can't add more, agree with Jane Green all the way.

Check with ur money order receipt if it was paid off or not.
Why would u send money order instead of check.....make sure u don't make the mistake 2nd time as check helps get the receipt number for application. Makes easy to track things.

thanks everyone for the replies.

okay, so waiting it is. But just wondering, does anyone know...if there is any time limit to within so and so months uscis needs to cash the check/mo or oc....whtever tht is? I know money order in and itself is good for a year...

Also, when she applied she was in Texas but right after sending application she moved to New York. Wherever she used to live, her friend lives there and they have informed her they didn't recieve any letter or anything from uscis. And, also she checked mo wasn't cashed yet. So, also I am wondering (sorry wondering too much here!) if they cash it and don't send anything how someone who moved is supposed to know the case # to do address change?

thanks a bunch!

Hi!

I need some advice/recommendation to this problem of my sister. She sent her i-130 and i-1485 application to Chicago in January. However, she made the money order payable to USCIS instead of DHS. Now, she called cust svcs in Jan and they told her to wait for a letter from uscis, which would have instruction as to how to file properly or some such. Now, it's been over 3 months and no news of such letter. And they didn't cash tht money order either.

In this case, I've been telling my sister at this point just to go ahead and send another application, but I was wondering if anyone here has any advice for her or have been through similar scenario and how it was sorted out. Anyone thinks it might be a problem if she sends another application anyway?

Advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks!!
Hi! I have done the same error. May I know what's the status of your sister's application now? Did she receive a letter from USCIS? Did she file a new application?