Nebraska processing time

shamshon

Registered Users (C)
This is really frustrating. I noticed the latest processing date for Nebraska processing center and found out the latest processing date for Asylee adjustment to permanant residency. It stays at September 30 th 1998. Even though I got my fingerprint notice and will go to do it in 2 weeks, I got pessimistic after reading the processing dates in the center. I was especially bothered by the fact that Irina got her finger print notice in March, 2002 and did not get her green card yet. Does some one know what is going on? :(

I doubt whether there is any body who knows whats going on,but still it is a big step ahead if you do the FP.It implies the beginning of the process of your case.I believe that INS is still dealing with files dated up to sept 30th 1998 after which they will deal with those who did the FP.We will be notified as soon as INS completes sept files no question about unless something is up. As for Irina she has to know that she filed I-485 in sept 1998,remember that INS is clearing files from late june to sept all she has to do is to sit still until they reach her file which i believe won`t be long before they reach hers.However my concern is when we are eligible to file for citizenship is it 4 yrs after you are granted asylum or 4 yrs after GC approval?I have been getting conflicting answers.

citizenship

Persons who receive LRP on the basis of asylum are eligible for citizenship 4 years after getting green card, not asylum.

INA section 209(b)

Not more than 10,0001 of the refugee admissions authorized under section 207(a) in any fiscal year may be made available by the Attorney General, in the Attorney General's discretion and under such regulations as the Attorney General may prescribe, to adjust to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence the status of any alien granted asylum who -

(1) applies for such adjustment,

(2) has been physically present in the United States for at least one year after being granted asylum,

(3) continues to be a refugee within the meaning of section 101(a)(42)(A) or a spouse or child of such a refugee,

(4) is not firmly resettled in any foreign country, and

(5) is admissible (except as otherwise provided undersubsection (c)) as an immigrant under this Act at the time of examination for adjustment of such alien. Upon approval of an application under this subsection, the Attorney General shall establish a record of the alien's admission for lawful permanent residence as of the date one year before the date of the approval of the application

Re: citizenship

It is so frustrating the way asylees have been treated all along compared with other cases.we are falling far behind by 3 or more yrs from other cases filed with INS.There`re people i know of who got their GC through lotto in 1997,now they are in a process of aquiring citizenship,yet i who came here before them in 1993 was granted asylum in 1995,am still pursuing for a GC.Someone has to look into this to have some people exempted from that 4 yrs waiting period depending on when the person was been granted asylum in order to be eligible for citizenship.To me it does not make sense at all after we are all going to end up becoming citizens.

Originally posted by Sessanga Charlesa
Thats pretty a long time ago since you did FP. Have you tried to contact INS?Something might be amiss.

Yes, I did contact them. I called to NSC several times and talked to the officer. She said I have to wait.
It took me 10-11 min to dial the number and 10-13 min to be on hold. I don’t know what to do anymore, just wait. I came to the US in 1992, and was granted asylum in 1997. See, how lucky I am . My sister came with me and she is became US citizen 3 years ego.
-irina

Re: check this link

Originally posted by Gilbert
Anyone who has question about citizenship eligibility is advised to check out this link, go to the bottom of page 77.

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/aboutins/statistics/97asyttl.pdf

Hey guys, pay attention to what they said:
..One year of asylee's residence prior to adjustment is counted toward the Naturalization residency requirement.......

does it mean that we can apply for Naturalization directly after we get our GC? 'cause we know that we'll have been waiting for GC probably over 4 years...so... according to the theory listed above, why not just apply for Naturalization directly after receiving GC.

Re: Re: check this link

NO, NO, NO

It does NOT mean that "we can apply for Naturalization directly after we get our GC? 'cause we know that we'll have been waiting for GC probably over 4 years".

Reread the sentence word by word. It is plain that they will count will count one year in asylee status for citizenship.

Wishful thinking will not our situation at all.
Originally posted by kelvin2088

Hey guys, pay attention to what they said:
..One year of asylee's residence prior to adjustment is counted toward the Naturalization residency requirement.......

does it mean that we can apply for Naturalization directly after we get our GC? 'cause we know that we'll have been waiting for GC probably over 4 years...so... according to the theory listed above, why not just apply for Naturalization directly after receiving GC.

Re: Re: citizenship

Sessanga Charlesa,

I concur with you 100%.

I came here in 1991 and applied for asylum immediately. I was not interviewd until 1997 (only after I asked for an interview). It looks like I will finally get my GC next year. Then I will have to sit out four more years for the blue cover of an American passport. I really wish the United States is like Canada and Australia in that it gives asylees immediate access to green cards. That would make a lot make sense. Not only will we get a sense of security and permanence sooner. But the INS will have much less duplicative and useless paperwork to process and perhaps more time to defend the homeland against potential terrorists.

I encourage you to contact your representatives in Congress as well as reporters to make them aware of this unusual situation confronting us.

Originally posted by Sessanga Charlesa
It is so frustrating the way asylees have been treated all along compared with other cases.we are falling far behind by 3 or more yrs from other cases filed with INS.There`re people i know of who got their GC through lotto in 1997,now they are in a process of aquiring citizenship,yet i who came here before them in 1993 was granted asylum in 1995,am still pursuing for a GC.Someone has to look into this to have some people exempted from that 4 yrs waiting period depending on when the person was been granted asylum in order to be eligible for citizenship.To me it does not make sense at all after we are all going to end up becoming citizens.

Last edited by a moderator:
those persons got a GOOD deal for citizenship

I do not envy them, but they have been very well-treated by Congress.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS FOR CERTAIN POLISH AND HUNGARIAN PAROLEES.

(a) IN GENERAL.-The Attorney General shall adjust the status of an alien described in subsection (b) to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence if the alien-

(1) applies for such adjustment;

(2) has been physically present in the United States for at least 1 year and is physically present in the United States on the date the application for such adjustment is filed;

(3) is admissible to the United States as an immigrant, except as provided in subsection (c); and

(4) pays a fee (determined by the Attorney General) for the processing of such application.

(b) ALIENS ELIGIBLE FOR ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS.-The benefits provided in subsection (a) shall only apply to an alien who-

(1) was a national of Poland or Hungary; and

(2) was inspected and granted parole into the United States during the period beginning on November 1, 1989, and ending on December 31, 1991, after being denied refugee status.
(d) DATE OF APPROVAL.-Upon the approval of such an application for adjustment of status, the Attorney General shall create a record of the alien's admission as an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence as of the date of the alien's inspection and parole described in subsection (b)(2).

Making appropriations for foreign operations, export financing, and related programs for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2001, and for other purposes.

(a) The status of certain aliens from Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos described in subsection (b) of this section may be adjusted by the Attorney General, under such regulations as she may prescribe, to that of an alien lawfully admitted permanent residence if--

(1) within three years after the date of promulgation by the Attorney General of regulations in connection with this title the alien makes an application for such adjustment and pays the appropriate fee;

(2) the alien is otherwise eligible to receive an immigrant visa and is otherwise admissible to the United States for permanent residence except as described in subsection (c); and

(3) the alien had been physically present in the United States prior to October 1, 1997.

(b) The benefits provided by subsection (a) shall apply to any alien who is a native or citizen of Vietnam, Laos, or Cambodia and who was inspected and paroled into the United States before October 1, 1997 and was physically present in the United States on October 1, 1997; and

(1) was paroled into the United States from Vietnam under the auspices of the Orderly Departure

Program; or

(2) was paroled into the United States from a refugee camp in East Asia; or

(3) was paroled into the United States from a displaced person camp administered by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Thailand.
(d) CEILING- The number of aliens who may be provided adjustment of status under this provision shall not exceed 5,000.

(e) DATE OF APPROVAL- Upon the approval of such an application for adjustment of status, the Attorney General shall create a record of the alien’s admission as a lawful permanent resident as of the date of the alien’s inspection and parole described in subsection (b)(1), (b)(2) and (b)(3).

Originally posted by Irina_C

Yes, I did contact them. I called to NSC several times and talked to the officer. She said I have to wait.
It took me 10-11 min to dial the number and 10-13 min to be on hold. I don’t know what to do anymore, just wait. I came to the US in 1992, and was granted asylum in 1997. See, how lucky I am . My sister came with me and she is became US citizen 3 years ego.
-irina

Irina,

Did you enlist the help of the immigration caseworker at your congressional office? Those people sometimes can work magic.

You did not mean that your sister got citizenship thru asylum??

Best

Originally posted by Gilbert

Irina,

Did you enlist the help of the immigration caseworker at your congressional office? Those people sometimes can work magic.

You did not mean that your sister got citizenship thru asylum??

Best
I wrote to congressmen, no reply.
Yes, my sister( my REAL sister) got her citizenship thru asylum .
My sister was granted asylum on her initial interview, I got it 5 years later by board of immigration appeal