naturalization interview outcome document

johannK

Registered Users (C)
I got a document after my 400 interview that says: "Congratulations! You application has been recommended for approval. At this time.........If final approval is granted,you will be notified when and where to report for the Oath ceremony." What does this "final approval" mean? Is it possible that something could go wrong between the interview and the oath that might change this approval? Who does the "final approval"?

All N-400 approvals are in essence by the IO (the person who interviews you) and his/her supervisor. This process makes sure that nothing slips by (at least in theory). For a majority of the cases the supervisory approval is a rubber stamp.

The only question though is how long it takes for the supervisory approval and then the actual oath itself. This varies from district office to district office.

Its always possible something could go wrong - for example you could get arrested for DUI between the interview and oath. Generally speaking however, once you get the "recommended for approval" you are approved except for the formalities.

You could also leave the country for an extended period of time too that might also become an issue before your oath...

Of course, i understand that there could be a problem if something happens on my side, like a DUI. I was worried about something on their side. You see, what happened was that my IO seemed uncertain about some things on the application and at the end of the interview said that he had to take the file to the supervisor. That made me really nervous. He was gone for about 10 minutes and then came back and gave me the N652. But I'm worried about some red flag in the file that might cause problems in the "final approval". The officer was not very nice and didn't tell me what he had to see the supervisor about.

I had a wonderfully pleasant interview. As did my wife. In both cases the IO disappeared for about 5 minutes. I think it's standard procedure.

"Congratulations" is a *very* good thing