Naturalization Eligibility Worksheet strange question

SebJones

Hello, I am a legal permanent resident since 2005, and I've been in the country since 2003. I entered legally with a fiance visa and went through all the proper procedures. So far I haven't applied for citizenship mostly because it's quite expensive, close to $1,000. But I would like to apply sometime this year. As I understood, being a legal permanent resident gave me the right to apply for it, but I searched for more information and I found this PDF called Naturalization Eligibility Worksheet with a questionnaire, so I went through it, and there's a really bizarre question:

10. One of the following is true:

(a) I am female, or
(b) I am a male registered with the Selective Service, or
(c) I am a male who did not enter the United States under any status until after my 26th birthday, or
(d) I am a male who was in the United States between the ages of 18 and 26 but who did not register with the Selective Service, and I will send a “Status Information Letter” from the Selective Service explaining why I did not register with my application.
(e) I am a male who was in the United States between the ages of 18 and 26 as a lawful nonimmigrant.

And to the right, if you select no, it says:
STOP You are not eligible to apply for naturalization.

Now, I'm totally lost here. First, it's a bizarre question that doesn't make any sense. I don't know what the Selective Service is, but I know I'm not registered with it. I came here on vacation when I was 8, so option C would not apply. I came to the US when I was 32, and I had been here on vacation when I was 28 and then 29, all times entering and leaving legally.

So if anybody here knows this, what is this question about, and does this mean that even though I paid a fortune in immigration fees and followed all the legal procedures to get my green card I'm not allowed to apply for citizenship?

Don't worry about that. The main question is -- were you a LEGAL RESIDENT between the ages of 18 and 27 while in the US? If not, then you weren't required to register with the Selective Service and there is no problems with it at all. Just answer NO on your N-400 and that's it.

Selective Service is the agency that administers draft in case of a war.

Don't worry about that. The main question is -- were you a LEGAL RESIDENT between the ages of 18 and 27 while in the US? If not, then you weren't required to register with the Selective Service and there is no problems with it at all. Just answer NO on your N-400 and that's it.

Right, but it says that if you don't answer yes to at least one of those questions you can't apply for citizenship. That's what I find puzzling.

Looks like you still fall under C. That looks more like a mistake on their part that they skipped those who were in the US before the age of 18 and after 26.

You weren't in the US at any time between 18 and 26, so you definitely were not required to register. And if you were in the US during that time only as a lawful nonimmigrant, you also wouldn't be required to register.

And even if you were required to register, you're over 31 now so it wouldn't matter. See http://forums.immigration.com/showt...p-for-selective-service&p=2233785#post2233785

So far I haven't applied for citizenship mostly because it's quite expensive, close to $1,000.
It's a bit less than $700 if you don't use a lawyer or other paid assistance.