Naturalization Certificate Expiration???

hmmm, good information. May be it is like passport validity. We renew the passport right after certain period. May be same applies here. Just a personal thought.

Sonny

No it doesn't expire. I think the site is referring to the fact that the certificate may not be a good source for photo-identification purposes after 10 years (from date of issue) simply because you won't look the same in 10 years. At least most people won't. Notice how all the documents the office uses for photo identification have validity dates?

The certificate for immigration purposes is valid for life - this is at a Federal level - so States can't change that law. In other words, 40 years from now you can apply for a passport for the first time using a certificate with an old picture and they still have to use it as proof of citizenship. However, proof of citizenship is different that photo identification. You can use your certificate to prove you are a US citizen but it may be so old that it does not satisfactorily identify you - that is, without the aid of another type of photo ID such as a driver's license or valid passport. Make sense?

I was searching for information on how to obtain a marriage license in New York and found the following:

http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/about/identification.shtml

A naturalization certificate is valid for 10 years? Is there any truth to this statement? I was under the impression that it had lifetime validity.

This is more like a typo or definitely somebody who does not know what they are talking about. But anyway, your but is not to tell these people whether they are wrong or right. Even the city clerk has their own rules.

Just show them your NEW naturalization certificate and forget about it.-
And ConGRatULations AGAAAAIIIIINNNNNNNN.......

they better not make my certificate expire :). i'd even consider plastic surgery to keep my youthful look to match the photo on the certificate :)
IT'S MINE DARNIT!!!!!

I think LolaLi's answer was correct. I may actually contact the city clerk's office and let them know about their error.

I specifically asked about naturalization certificate expiration date, when I got mine last friday.
It will never expire and Officer told me "do not loose it then you have to re-apply for re-issuance"

Once I get my cert I apply for US Passport and then it goes to my safe for years. I will only take it to show as a proof of citizenship.

The statement on the website is for the validity of the naturalization as an acceptable form of ID for marriage license request, not on the validity of the naturalization document itself as it never expires.

The statement on the website is for the validity of the naturalization as an acceptable form of ID for marriage license request, not on the validity of the naturalization document itself as it never expires.

Thats what I said! :)