National Security Clearance for citizenship

cafeconleche

Registered Users (C)
I just got a call from Senator Gillibrand's office that they contacted CIS about my case, and it is apparently awaiting national security clearance, and because it is at this stage it can take an undetermined period of time to be processed. I've never heard about this, so I asked if this was something special for me, and I was told that everyone goes through this sort of clearance. It's different from the FBI background check that is carried out after fingerprinting, apparently. Is this true? Any insight on this? Thanks.

There's no extra "National Security Check". There's only the FBI check which is what they were really referring to.

That's weird though, because I called the FBI between my fingerprinting and interview, and I was told the check was cleared the same day as the fingerprinting. So did CIS lie, or is there something extra going on with my case?

I just called the FBI and they said (as they told me when I called a few months ago) that they did a fingerprint check and sent it to CIS the same day in April, and that a name check is only done if the fingerprints are rejected. Hmm, a lot of different information going around, so I don't know where I stand. Basically I want to know if I can still have them file a service request after 90 days, or sue CIS after 120 days.

I just called the FBI and they said (as they told me when I called a few months ago) that they did a fingerprint check and sent it to CIS the same day in April, and that a name check is only done if the fingerprints are rejected. Hmm, a lot of different information going around, so I don't know where I stand. Basically I want to know if I can still have them file a service request after 90 days, or sue CIS after 120 days.
FBI gave you incorrect information about name check. For the naturalization process, FP and FBI name check is performed for all applicants. FBI can only inform you of status of FP, not name check. An IO can inform you if name check was completed.
You can still open service request and sue 120 days after interview if you don't receive a response.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi;
I always thought that individuals can't call to inquire about their name check!
Could you please provide the phone number to call and what information one
should have ready when calling to inquire?

Thanks in advance

Al.

It's been over 2 months since my interview actually. Anyway, I'll call them every once in a while. But you said CIS can tell me if the name check was completed? I'll call them again and ask then.
Al, I called the FBI and they told me the fingerprint check information. 304-625-5590. Just give them your SSN.

It's been over 2 months since my interview actually. Anyway, I'll call them every once in a while. But you said CIS can tell me if the name check was completed? I'll call them again and ask then.
Al, I called the FBI and they told me the fingerprint check information. 304-625-5590. Just give them your SSN.
My bad..it's been over 2 months since you were interviewed. In any case, an IO over the phone can access your case and confirm if the security checks are complete. If the IO you speak to says they can't verify it, call back and speak with another IO until one confirms it for you.

It sounds like "name check" delay. It used to be a big deal a few years ago. It seems most people don't have issues with it nowadays.

I called and I got a difficult IO. She said she doesn't see any snags, so I asked if that means my name check is probably complete, but then she said she can't verify it since it was done by the FBI. It was annoying trying to deduce information with her, and she got upset and said she didn't want me to "analyse" her words. I told her I will contact another IO. Just like you said, Bobsmyth. I'm just surprised my name is stuck like this. I don't have a common name at all. I guess I'll call back, hehe. What a pain.

Sue them, I did on the 122nd day of the interview after i got stuck in the name check, within 35 days of me suing them i got my oath, apparently USCIS expediting the name check, they will not expedite it without the matter going to court as it costs more for USCIS to do that.

Ah, damn. Just my luck that I'm stuck in name check. I've never had trouble at the POE, or when I did my biometrics for my GC. How did it go when you sued CIS, namecheckvictim? Was it easy? Could it all be done by post?

CAFECONLECHE
I also forget you, i hope everything goes ok with your case! just hang in there and if you still getting turn around by USCIS by 120 day, make sure you take then to court on the 121st day

Thanks knavigator1. Congratulations on applying for your passport!

So I called CIS and got another IO and I was told they don't see any issues with my application apart from the fact that it hasn't yet been approved. The IO also said there is a national security check on top of the name check and fingerprint check. I don't know what to believe. She also said the name check is sent to your country of birth. Is this true?

The IO also said there is a national security check on top of the name check and fingerprint check. I don't know what to believe. She also said the name check is sent to your country of birth. Is this true?

USCIS can perform additional checks as it sees fit as part of the overall background check, and not all applicants have these additional checks performed. However, USCIS is still bound by the 120 day rule once they perform interview with applicant.

Thanks knavigator1. Congratulations on applying for your passport!

So I called CIS and got another IO and I was told they don't see any issues with my application apart from the fact that it hasn't yet been approved. The IO also said there is a national security check on top of the name check and fingerprint check. I don't know what to believe. She also said the name check is sent to your country of birth. Is this true?

Don't lose your sleep over what the IO says. Most of them bluff and avoid giving correct information. You still have more than 45 days to act.

I will tell you what will happen.Of course after 90 days you will go an INFOPASS and ask them for a Service Request. This is just to be on record you had pursued the case. Within a fortnight you will get a "wishy-washy" reply. 15 days after that you will call your Senate contact person. He/She will revert in 3 days. On 121 st day you will make an Info pass. Nothing will happen. You will make draft 1447b and will decide that you will file next Monday. Monday as a last effort call USCIS. They will assure you your case is almost through. You will be tempted to wait for 2 more days than incur an expenditure of almost $350-400. On Wednesday you will get your Oath letter which is prepared on the previous Friday and mailed on Monday. Note your Monday call did not get you correct info. This is what happened to my wife last month. She got OL on 124th day and OC 8 days later. She was also stuck on Name Check.Only i wish and pray you get your approval much earlier.

Another thing i have noticed is that recently the USCIS is taking action within 120 days. Unlike past 2 years when there were 100's of 1447b every month, nowadays there are hardly any cases against USCIS for not taking action within 120 days of interview. Don't lose heart you will be approved soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, thanks for the comforting story, hehe. I'm in California right now helping my mom clean and redo her house since I'm recently unemployed and figured it would be a good time to do this. So, infopass in NY will be a bit difficult. Can I ask for a service request over the phone? I was told this was possible? Otherwise I guess I will have to make the trek to NY.

Ah, damn. Just my luck that I'm stuck in name check. I've never had trouble at the POE, or when I did my biometrics for my GC. How did it go when you sued CIS, namecheckvictim? Was it easy? Could it all be done by post?

It went well, I sued them and prepared everything myself, I wouldn't say it was easy because I had to prepare a complaint and filed it with the District Court, paid $350 filing fee and served 5 defendants by certified mail. But at the end one thing is for sure that it will work and you will get it done.