Name Change request and travel during the application process

Miss_chang

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

I'm eligible to apply for US Citizenship in July (4 yrs and 9 months) and I had a few questions about it.

First off, how does name change request work? Will it delay my process?

Also, after I've sent in all the documents for naturalization, can I travel outside the country before the interview and Oath ceremony?

I also had a couple questions about the application itself. I'm working as an independent contractor - usually short term projects (1-2 months). How do I go about the rule pertaining to 3 month of living in a state prior to filing for naturalization from a certain state?

And lastly, how do I show records of tax filing for the past 5 years. I went through the thread about required documents and someone mentioned I need to submit W2 records as well. How/where do I get 'em?

Thank you for taking your time to read through my post.

First off, how does name change request work? Will it delay my process?
Unless the name change is to take your spouse's last name, it could delay your oath but not your interview or earlier stages of the process.

I also had a couple questions about the application itself. I'm working as an independent contractor - usually short term projects (1-2 months). How do I go about the rule pertaining to 3 month of living in a state prior to filing for naturalization from a certain state?

Do you keep a house (not rented out to others) or apartment in one particular state while you're away on projects in different states? And do you have a driver's license or state ID connected to that address? If yes, your residence would be that house or apartment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you jackolantern. Say, I had a project for 6 months in CA, would it be okay for me to not change my address or am I legally obliged?

If you have a 6 month project in CA while maintaining your long-term residence in state A, you wouldn't have to change your address to CA. But if you apply for citizenship using the address in state A, you'll have to do the interview and oath in state A. The biometrics appointment notice will also specify a location in state A, but you can have it done in any other USCIS office which does biometrics.

Ah. That helps. Thanks a ton for your reply. Nothing about W2 (employment history) or traveling outside after filing for citizenship, though?