Name change during Naturalization (N400) procedures


New Member
I'm a Green Card holder with an Indian Passport and would like to have my first name changed during N400 application.

I have some agricultural land in India and I do not want to have any issues when I want to sell it in the future due to changing my name in the US. I haven't visited India in a long time and have no one to help me in India with any paper work related to my name change in the US. I have an uncle in Hyderabad who is too old to help me. I do not have any Aadhaar/PAN/PIO/OCI as these did not exist when I left India over 20 years ago.

A) What do I need to do -

1) before naturalization in the US?
2) before US naturalization in India?
3) after naturalization in the US?
4) after US naturalization in India?

B) If I need to publish my name change, etc. anywhere in India, are there any news agencies, etc. who can help me with it for a fee?

C) What is the procedure for NRIs to sell agricultural land in Telangana? I signed up in Dharani's NRI Portal but could not find a way to claim/link my land records to my account to safeguard the property.



Registered Users (C)
Not sure about Indian process but there is an option to change the name on N400. You need to fill it out. You will most likely have a court ceremony and your naturalization certificate will reflect your new name. You use it to change names on SSN, bank accounts, drivers licenses etc.