Name chage after interview, but before the oath ceremony

fisherman

Registered Users (C)
My N-400 application was approved and they send me an oath letter for next Friday July 17th in downtown Memphis library. I am thinking of changing my name (just adding a middle name) before oath ceremony so my new name would appear on my naturalization certificate.

I was thinking of sending the oath letter back explaining that I would like to change my name (thru USCIS) before the oath, so therefore can not attend the oath ceremony. Would that be a good idea, or is a bad idea?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Having a name change at this point as part of the naturalization process will probably delay your oath by 2-3 months. In addition to having to file your name change paperwork with the court, they'll also have to schedule you for a judicial oath which occurs less frequently than the regular administrative oaths (unless you are in one of the few locations where ALL oaths are judicial oaths).

But if you decide to do the name change after the oath, you'll have to pay money to process the name change through the local court system and wait a couple months for that anyway.

So either way you're looking at a delay of 2+ months to achieve the end result -- one way you become a US citizen later but the name change is free and it goes on your certificate, the other way you have to spend money in court for the name change (which could be hundreds of dollars, depending on the jurisdiction).

If you decide to delay the oath, show up at the location and explain the situation (and have the oath letter in your hand). Because if you mail in the oath letter, it won't be processed before your originally scheduled oath on the 17th, and your case will be treated as a no-show.

Thanks jack for your response :)

My interview was only last week so they are moving pretty fast in Memphis. I live 3 hours from Memphis so if I decide to make any changes, I have to consider commuting also to submit more forms for name change. Sometimes I think name change is not worth all trouble, and as you said probably more delays.

If I go thru the court system for name change, the fee will be $150. So evaluating my options now :)

You have to show up on the 17th anyway, either to actually take the oath or to request a name change and postponement of the oath. You don't want the delays and complications of being a no-show.

Thanks jack. I am planning to go to the oath and made plans to do so on Friday. I might ask the officer about the name change before handing over the oath letter.

If he/she said it will complicated the matter (since my name is already printed on certificate) and have to come back to fill out and submit more forms (such as court petition forms), then thinking of abandoning the name change altogether and go head with ceremony.

But if it is no problem for them and changes can be done right there, then might consider it :)

I think you can change it at the Oath Ceremony. I just had my Oath Ceremony and before they hand you your certificate they show it to you to make sure the information is correct and I do believe that up until that point you can still change your name.

Congratulation on your ceremony. I had mine on Friday and it was real nice. Almost had tears in my eyes :(

I ask the lady about the name change and she said I missed my chance since didn't do it in my interview. But she said I could do it thru the court in my own town.

Maybe it is for the best not changing my name. I also hold passport, identification cards and bank account in my country (sorry, that would be my former country). And believe me, it would be a nightmare to change names on those documents.