1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.


Discussion in 'US Citizenship' started by zackng, Jan 11, 2017.

  1. zackng

    zackng New Member

    Dear all,

    I hope that you all will have a great year, 2017.

    I am a 20-year-old green card holder. I was 17 and came to America on November 17, 2014 with an IR2 Visa. Right after I got a green card, my mom and I applied N600 for a Citizenship Certificate. After about 6 months, we got to the interview and finally, my N600 was denied because my address on my ID and on my mom's ID didn't match. The fact is that we did live together in the same house but my mom didn't change the address because she usually moved before I came to the U.S. We ended up not appealing because of our financial issue. After N600 was denied, my mom changed address and then we moved to Texas and have been living in the same house until now. I have some questions:

    1. Should I re-apply N600 and is there any chance that my application will be processed successfully?
    2. Can I apply for U.S passport through my mother?

    Thank you for reading and helping.

  2. newacct

    newacct Well-Known Member

    You can and should apply for a US passport.

    My opinion is that it's a waste of money and effort to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship, because it doesn't do anything that a US passport doesn't already do. By the way the cost just went up to $1170. If you still want to apply for it, the N-600 instructions say you cannot file another N-600 if you have a previously-denied N-600, and instead you must follow the instructions on the denial. I think that means you must apply for a Motion to Reopen with I-290B, but I'm not exactly how that works if it's been a while since the denial.
  3. zackng

    zackng New Member

    Thank you for your help. I have something to ask you more if you don't mind.

    I just want to make sure that even though I am 20 now and as I told above that I came here when I was 17 (2014) and my mom got her citizenship before I came (2011), is it possible if I apply for a US passport now and I will get US. passport?

    Sorry for being annoying. Thank you.

    Best wishes,
  4. newacct

    newacct Well-Known Member

    Yes. You are a US citizen and you can get a US passport at any time.

Share This Page