N600 and Passport for minor child

Marais

Registered Users (C)
I and my wife are citizens as of today. Somehow we convinced to apply for N600 for my daughter (14 years) and apply for passport also. Can I apply for passport along with ours and file N600 right away? or Do I need to wait until we get our passport for proof?

I need to apply for OCI card (India travel) later after I receive my passport.

Thanks in advance.

Use one parent's naturalisation certificate to obtain the passport and the other's parent's naturalisation certificate to obtain N-600.

I and my wife are citizens as of today. Somehow we convinced to apply for N600 for my daughter (14 years) and apply for passport also. Can I apply for passport along with ours and file N600 right away? or Do I need to wait until we get our passport for proof?

Use one parent's naturalisation certificate to obtain the passport and the other's parent's naturalisation certificate to obtain N-600.

That leaves the parents without a certificate to apply for their own passports. What I think the OP is asking is if they can apply for their passports and their child's passport all at once, and simultaneously apply for her N-600 as well.

Yes, you can apply for both concurrently. You only need to send photocopy of the naturalization certificate for the N600 application. Don't send original documents with N600 application. I actually did that. I applied for all the family passports and N600 the same day, from the same post office. As I mentioned, don't send original documents for N600.

By the way, some or many post offices will be able to do both parents and child/ren passports at once. They will take a photocopy of one of the parents (mother most likely) and notarize it and send it with the child application. That way you can do everything in one shot. Even if you don't find a post office willing to do that you can still send the N600 application right away.

Good luck.

Can I make a copy of naturalization certificate to apply for N600.., is that allowed?
I was told we can not make a copy of naturalization certificate.

Do you really need the N600? A passport is a de-facto proof of citizenship.
It is not necessary, but the fact that the certificate doesn't expire makes it useful if something goes wrong, like if the passport is lost/stolen or there is a delay in renewing the passport (or if someone simply forgot to renew it).

Yes, you can make a photocopy for N600 and even for your own safekeeping, in case they get lost or destroyed. Having the copy or scan would help to fill out a N565 to replace your lost or destroyed certificate.

Thanks Huracan..
I was in a dilemma as a note on naturalization certificate says it is illegal to make a copy.

I think what they mean is to make a fraudulent copy, not a regular photocopy for storage. This point has been debated to death in the forum. The consensus is that it is perfectly fine to make photocopies or scans for personal storage and backup. USCIS asks for photocopies of these documents in certain forms, so they wouldn't be asking you to make something illegal, I guess :)

Thanks Huracan for your reply.
You lost and replaced naturalization certificate by using N565 form?

Question..
Do children need to go for interview after filing N600?

No, certificate of citizenship for my child was issued with a typo. I used N565 to get a free replacement as it was USCIS mistake.

Good question. Some go to "interview" some don't. I think it depends on age (older kids seem to be more likely to have to go to USCIS), but not always. In my case they didn't call for interview. This could be because they issued the certificate on April and never sent it to me. I had to contact customer service when the processing was outside of their processing guidelines and then I got the certificate (with the typo) a couple of weeks later after my call. Perhaps I was in a queue for interview and because it went out of processing time guidelines they decided to send it instead of making us go to interview. Anyway, I think the "interview", which is just making sure the kid exists and is in the US is not always done.