N400 Timeline - VSC(NY)

not at all. how do u even check ur name check process?
I know my finger print result was sent back on same day, besides that, I dont know nothing regarding my actual status during the whole process.
and speaking of name check, I dont see why it takes that long for checking names...

Plus, if u sign up the email alert @ USCIS.GOV, u'll be able to see when was the last time they update ur case. it seemed like after they sent me the notice of fingerprint, nothing happen to my case yet.

The issue with name checks is outlined in one of the stickies on this forum, titled "My name check experience". If you haven't read it yet, I strongly suggest you do. Also, you may want to schedule an Infopass. They'll tell you if you're stuck in name check.

ppl, I found at least two NJ cases received their IL, and both PDs are later than mine.
What's eating our Big Apple?

Still waiting

I'm still waiting for IL. I called to check on my app and I was told that name still have to be cleared by FBI. I don't know how long it takes to clear a single name! Anyone here knows what this means? And how long you guys think I will be waiting until my name is cleared. Do they do the same background check when we apply for the 10 year green card? It took me only a couple of months “the whole process” to get my 10year green card. What I wanted to say is if my name was cleared once quickly why this time it will take much longer! Please advise.

Thank you all.

NP- I do have a Muslim name......May be this is a BIG problem in nowadays!!!!!!

N-400 Timeline (NYC)

Mailed to VSC --- 4/3/07 (Express Mail)
VSC Received --- 4/11/07
PD --- 4/11/07
FP Notice Received --- 4/25/07
FP Appointment --- 5/8/07
IL Received --- ?
Interview Scheduled --- ?
Oath --- ?
Passport --- ?

I'm still waiting for IL. I called to check on my app and I was told that name still have to be cleared by FBI. I don't know how long it takes to clear a single name! Anyone here knows what this means? And how long you guys think I will be waiting until my name is cleared. Do they do the same background check when we apply for the 10 year green card? It took me only a couple of months “the whole process” to get my 10year green card. What I wanted to say is if my name was cleared once quickly why this time it will take much longer! Please advise.

Thank you all.

NP- I do have a Muslim name......May be this is a BIG problem in nowadays!!!!!!

N-400 Timeline (NYC)

Mailed to VSC --- 4/3/07 (Express Mail)
VSC Received --- 4/11/07
PD --- 4/11/07
FP Notice Received --- 4/25/07
FP Appointment --- 5/8/07
IL Received --- ?
Interview Scheduled --- ?
Oath --- ?
Passport --- ?

Read the sticky on this forum called "My name check experience". You will learn a lot about name checks. There is pretty much nothing you can do to speed this case up unless you get fed up with your name being stuck in name check and you would want to file a writ of mandamus against USCIS.

Name checks take a long time because the FBI system may have a potential hit. What this means in 99% of cases is that your name MAY be similar to another person's name who does have a criminal record. This results in FBI needing to clear your name by pulling up all cases related to this name and checking manually to see what the case work says. That is why a name check takes a long time sometimes.

To understand the process better, you may read this:

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/nationalnamecheck.htm

still waiting

Thank you for the Tip.

Are the background checks and the name checks we go through for the Greene Card the same as this one? Or they are completely different. Please advise.

What I meant to say is if my name was cleared ones before shouldn't be now as well?

Thank you guys for your help.

Thank you for the Tip.

Are the background checks and the name checks we go through for the Greene Card the same as this one? Or they are completely different. Please advise.

What I meant to say is if my name was cleared ones before shouldn't be now as well?

Thank you guys for your help.

Yes, the checks are the same. If you cleared it before it should clear now unless something has been added to FBI's databases that may block your name from being cleared between the time you got your GC and the time the name check for the N-400 app is initiated.

I'm just worry because I heard that this may take up to 6 years bro! And I can't wait all this time. Lets hope for the best.

Thanks,

it's been 6 months + since I sent my app to VSC, and I'm still waiting for IL...
NY applicants become really quiet...
wonder how can i talk to a immigration officer properly, do i just ask for being transfered to one when i call custsrv?

it's been 6 months + since I sent my app to VSC, and I'm still waiting for IL...
NY applicants become really quiet...
wonder how can i talk to a immigration officer properly, do i just ask for being transfered to one when i call custsrv?

Another thread suggested calling Customer Service and telling the operator that you were just on the phone with an IO, but the call got disconnected (phone went out, accidentally hung up, etc.). Chances are it may work.

PPL! U'll never know!
Just 10 mins ago, I was still upset and now the good news arrived!

check my timeline for update...

P.S. online status doesnt change at all...plus, it took me 8 days to rcv the letter...
so, for those of u who check online status daily, just like I did, ur IL is possibly on its way...

Last edited by a moderator:
My application was delivered on Sep 29. Still waiting for check to be cashed. It's been more than 7 weeks now. What do I do?

PPL! U'll never know!
Just 10 mins ago, I was still upset and now the good news arrived!

check my timeline for update...

P.S. online status doesnt change at all...plus, it took me 8 days to rcv the letter...
so, for those of u who check online status daily, just like I did, ur IL is possibly on its way...

Thank you for sharing this encouraging news!
It seems VSC sends IL more than once a month.
Your case fell into the 7 months normal processing timeframe.
Is this also a good sign that USCIS is following the 7 month processing timeframe?

Could you let’s know that did you put any organization and traffic ticket in you application?

Thanks

Here is the time-line for my wife's N400 application:

Applicaition sent: May 14, 2007
PD: May 17, 07
Check Cashed: May last week, 07
FP notice: Early June
FP: June 11, 2007.
Infopass: Nov 21, 07 --> She was informed that her interview date is Jan 17, 08. The online status although does not indicate this.

I have a question regarding the time-line after the interview. The Infopass lady told us that she can take oath on the day of her interview. Once she receives the certificate she may apply for US passport. I am wondering how many days it may take from the interview to getting the passport. We are planning on visiting India in Feb.
Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks

Flushing NY Application

PD - June 6, 2007
FP - July 7, 2007
IL - ??

Online Status says Application recieved and pending. Are any June cases pending?

Scenario For Case Screw Up
I was cited for illegal possesion of a controlled substance in the 7th degree (knocked the sheyyt out of my partying glory days). I do have the original certificate of disposition. Locked for a 1 day post which I Plead guilty with reduced charges and night I spent in jail was my sentence; Reduced charges: disturbing the peace (I sure as hell hope they meant green peace).

Question to the Audience
Firstly, Is it a good idea to have lawyer representation for the interview? I obtained my greencard with the same red-ink on my record. I hear that they normally grill people especially when they have the black coats accompany them during interviews.

Secondly, Should I expect longer then expected processing time due to this incident?

Thirdly, I have had DMV driving points for speeding and crossing a double yellow. Is this supposed to be reported? and where would I get such information from ? I hardly even remember the incidences. (My record is clean for the last 5 years)

Finally, there is form 1722 for IRS is there something simillar for state gov's (NJ and NY in particular)

Cheers folks, and watch out for the fiat currency, trade in gold standards its the only way to be.

Are there any April app still pending? Please advise.

I sent my app on 04/02/2007 and it was received on 04/11/2007.

Thanks,
BrooKlyn2007