N400 question

samira_jung

Registered Users (C)
MY parents have been green card holders for almost 5 years. MY questions are
1) When is the earliest i can apply ?? Is it 90 days prior to 5th year anniv of GC ?? Or should i wait till we reach the 5th yr anniv ??
2) My parents have been in Maryland since they became GC holders. They were recently out of town to india for 4 months. So do they need to be in maryland another 3 mo before they apply for N400.......this is regarding that rule that says you have to be a resident of the state you apply for 3 months.
Thanks again for answering the questions.

1) Yes, as long as they fulfill all the requirements at that time
2) No, a temporary trip away from their place of residence does not break their residency

Hi samira_jung
Minimum 3 months you need to be a resident of the place you're apply at.
A child of a Lawful Permanent Resident in may apply for a Green Card without having an approved Immigrant Petition. This process is known as "accompanying" or "follow to join."
Children born outside the United States after the sponsoring parent obtained a Green Card must have an approved Form I-130 Immigrant Petition in order to be eligible to apply for a Green Card.
If you are the unmarried son or daughter of a permanent resident, and you get married prior to becoming a permanent resident, you no longer qualify for permanent residence through your permanent resident family member.
Good luck!