N400 + Name Change = Delay ?

winthan

Registered Users (C)
I read about "Name change during N400 and subsequent delay in Oath" thread. is that really happening to new yorkers too for long delay. I can't waste my time for more than 1 month for name change. Is any new yorkers out there changed name with N400? can you explain about your experience. If that may delay for more than 1 month, can I do name change petition by myself rather than waiting for a month. And at Interview, can I represent my document of name changes at interview? will that be easier? if you have any any ideas and thoughts/advices, please shoot your comments here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Queens and also asked for a name change. After the interview on April 16th 2013 the IO said it'd take 6 to 8 weeks for me to to get the oath notification letter in the mail. Imagine my surprise when on April 22nd I get an email saying my case was placed in oath scheduling quee and on the 23th I get another email saying my oath had already been scheduled. I got my oath notification in the mail on the 27th and my oath is on may 14th. I think, at least in my case, asking for a name change had no impact on the processing time.

If that may delay for more than 1 month, can I do name change petition by myself rather than waiting for a month.

Yes, you can change your name separately through the local courts. However, the court process for changing your name will cost you money and may take 1 or 2 months, and a name change between your interview and oath will probably delay your oath.

that is great Eidolon/Dhlunar, thanks for your inputs. I feel relief about it. New Yorkers will not have issue for delay then since we have great weekly court processing on every Friday :), cheers!