N-600, the file moved to California Processing Center with no explanation

zaraza

Registered Users (C)
Just wanted to share. First I got really pissed off but now I am just laughing at the USCIS ability to screw almost everything up.
At the end of September I filed the application for my kid's Certification of Citizenship aka N-600. I have not received any receipt with an application number but rather a little grocery-store-like receipt confirming that my check was cashed out by USCIS. Fine. I called the customer service and they confirmed that I am not supposed to get anything else. If I need to track the case I am supposed to use her A number. Great.
We have not move, nothing changed and suddenly today we received a note from California Processing Center (FYI: we are in Delaware) notifying us that her papers have been moved to California Processing Center. Why? No explanation. It is just plain absurd but here it is.

No need to worry because USCIS has recently (4 weeks ago) opened another unit in California to take care of backlog. A lot of applications/petitions are being diverted to California for faster processing. You might like to check/read the testimony of Director of USCIS to Congress a while ago wherein he testified that USCIS is committed to clear up the backlong AND adjudicating every petition/application within a 6 month timeframe by the end of 2006. As a result, every application is being adjudicating very quickly now compared to before. Many people's applications are being diverted to California Service Center even though those people don't fall under that Service Center. Very soon you would receive an approval from CA.

Good Luck.

JohnnyCash said:
Many people's applications are being diverted to California Service Center even though those people don't fall under that Service Center. Very soon you would receive an approval from CA.

Good Luck.
Johnny,

Thank you,
Would never guessed it without you.
Could you then confirm if I understand the process correctly?
They make a decision at California Center and then send the file back to the original office for an interview?
I was surprised that they invite minors for an interview but was told that it is necessary to have a child physically present to prevent abuse of the system.
:)

zaraza said:
I was surprised that they invite minors for an interview but was told that it is necessary to have a child physically present to prevent abuse of the system.
:)

These days INS is waiving the requirement of having a child physically present. It is same as to waiving many more requirements such as approving AOS case without interview for a person who entered into US on Fiance visa, waiving the interview on removing the condition of conditional status, granting advance parole without interview, etc. All these steps are taken to reduce the backlog and to adjudicate an application/petition quickly.

However, it must be noted that if INS (a particular adjudication officer) would feel like to have an interview then a person could be called upon for an interview. How to approve a case totally remains on assigned adjudication officer's discretion.

zaraza said:
They make a decision at California Center and then send the file back to the original office for an interview?

You bet. Not only they make a decision at California Service Center, they also process the whole application over there. You might be aware of the fact that a case needs to be processing before being forwarded to local office for interview. So, this unit does all the "dirty works" before a case could be forwarded to local office. In most cases, people just get approval letter.