N-400 - Over 120 days past interview. Next steps?

astronugget

I filed my N-400 application in January, 2017 after having had a green card for 3 years. Things went fairly smoothly until my interview in July, 2017, when I was told verbally that I would be recommended for approval, but received a notice that a decision couldn't be made.

[The reason I was given for this was an incident 6-7 years ago when I did not have sufficient documentation from my school on attempting to enter the country at the Toronto airport (although I had a valid visa). At that time, I was turned away and was able to re-enter the following day with supporting evidence from my school. (Side note: border agents said that this wouldn't go on my record as being denied entry since I was given the opportunity to "voluntarily" retract my application for entry to the US, but I'm not sure how true that is.) The incident came back to bite me every time I re-entered the country in the ensuing years until I applied for global entry post green card, which seemed to clear everything up, until now.]

I called the USCIS service center after 90 days post-interview and was told that my application was on track for approval and that "I would become a US Citizen." However, the agent said she could not initiate a service request because my application was still within the normal time frame. I called the service center again 125 days after the interview, and was again told my application was within normal processing times, and that no further inquiry or service request could be made at this time.

My understanding was that a decision was guaranteed within 120 days (though I know from reading this forum that that's hardly the case), so it's frustrating to be told this normal. Anyway, at this juncture, I've read a lot of information about next steps: Infopass, contacting my local rep, and requesting a judicial review. The last option seems a bit extreme to me, but I wanted to better understand whether Infopass would be useful at this stage, or will I likely be told the same thing about "normal" processing times? Any input on how I should proceed?