N-400 Interview, but decision cannot be made, any experiences?

Luke Frank6

N-400 got interview on 03/18/2010, everything looked okay, after the interview, IO said "good news" and "bad news". "Good news" is that you passed the test; "bad news" is that I cannot make a decision due to FBI background check.

So dispointed and nerves, it is more than one month passed, I did not receive any information from USCIS.

Any experiences with the similar situation, please advise and share.

Thank you in advance

Luke Frank

Where are you from ??? In Chicago dateline you will see lot of recent posts of similar cases.
Are you from Chicago???

N-400 got interview on 03/18/2010, everything looked okay, after the interview, IO said "good news" and "bad news". "Good news" is that you passed the test; "bad news" is that I cannot make a decision due to FBI background check.

So dispointed and nerves, it is more than one month passed, I did not receive any information from USCIS.

Thank you in advance

Luke Frank

Thank you in advance

Luke Frank

It's rare that they schedule your interview before your FBI check has cleared. In fact, a 2008 USCIS memo stated that interviews should not be schedule before the FBI name check has passed.
Keep inquiring with USCIS every 30 days or so about the status of your case with an IO via phone or Infopass.

It's rare that they schedule your interview before your FBI check has cleared. In fact, a 2008 USCIS memo stated that interviews should not be schedule before the FBI name check has passed.
Keep inquiring with USCIS every 30 days or so about the status of your case with an IO via phone or Infopass.

Yeah, but according to the Chicago N-400 tracker thread, http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?206052-Chicago-IL-N-400-Timeline/page72
for the N-400 applicants in the Chicago DO area there has been a big recent screw-up, and a large number of N-400 cases have been scheduled for interviews before the FBI name check was completed.
So if the OP is from the Chicago DO area, that would explain it.

Yeah, but according to the Chicago N-400 tracker thread, http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?206052-Chicago-IL-N-400-Timeline/page72
for the N-400 applicants in the Chicago DO area there has been a big recent screw-up, and a large number of N-400 cases have been scheduled for interviews before the FBI name check was completed.
So if the OP is from the Chicago DO area, that would explain it.

But it's still a rare occurrence. In this case it might be due to a system glitch, but normally the background checks are done before interviews are scheduled.

Bobsmyth,

Does the name check start after file is transferred to local office or it starts once the finger print is done?

Based on my interview experience, the IO told me that the name check was not done correctly for certain dates between January and March and hence they are redoing it. So, the interviews were scheduled after the name check was done. It looks like the name check done is right away after you file before the fingerprint is done. This is based on the information I got from the IO as he said my name check was done on 1/12/2010.

I am not sure if it just Chicago or other DO's are affected. If what the IO said is right, I am assuming it should be more than one DO. I guess that kind of depends on how they actually process it.

Me too, i passed the test but IO said my file is missing ,so IO used temporary file for interview. IO said i have to wait about 2 months or until they found the file???????????,now already 1 month.IO said no need to call USCIS office because the answer will be same: still looking for file.....but until whennnn????.I don't know what I have to do?

N-400 interview, but decision cannot be made

Thanks all for quick response. OD is Cleveland.

I and my wife applied N-400 same time, my wife has passed the test and approved on 3/18/2010, but I cannot get a decision. The IO said that she doesnot know when she can get the FBI check, one month or three years. Gees! if it takes three years, my life will be spoiled.

Any idea and comments

Thanks!

I and my wife applied N-400 same time, my wife has passed the test and approved on 3/18/2010, but I cannot get a decision. The IO said that she doesnot know when she can get the FBI check, one month or three years. Gees! if it takes three years, my life will be spoiled.
!
Two years ago there was a backlog of FBI name checks, some taking as long as several years to complete. USCIS and FBI have since implemented an initiative that has reduced name check times to under 6 months for over 95% of applications. The "up to 3 years" that the IO told you is highly unlikely and outdated information based on past name check delays.

Bobsmyth,

Thanks. Please advise if FBI name check and FBI background check is the same thing, or it is two different FBI checks. The IO said FBI background check. I am a little confused.

Luke Frank6

Bobsmyth,

Thanks. Please advise if FBI name check and FBI background check is the same thing, or it is two different FBI checks. The IO said FBI background check. I am a little confused.

Luke Frank6

The FBI background check actually consists of two separate procedures: the FBI fingerprint check (which is usually done very quickly, typically within 1 day of the FBI receiving the applicants fingerprints from USCIS) and the FBI Name Check.
Since the fingerprint check is usually completed very quickly, when an IO says that an FBI background check is still pending, this most likely means that the FBI Name Check is still pending.

Any idea and comments

Thanks!

Luke Frank 6 - Did you finally get your Oath letter or are you still waiting? The AO said the same background check reason in my case also (Hartford, CT)