N-400 based on I-360 VAWA

aniretake

Registered Users (C)
What documents should I attach to N-400 if I file after 3 years of residency based on I-360 VAWA? Should I attach I-360 approval? Any marriage proof?
Thanks!

What documents should I attach to N-400 if I file after 3 years of residency based on I-360 VAWA? Should I attach I-360 approval? Any marriage proof?
Thanks!

You don't need to attach the approval notice on your GC application or application I-360 that you filed to obtain GC or any marriage proof along with your application for naturalization. Why? Nothing of these is required. And USCIS have all these information in their system anyway.

You would need to send in everything that a regular applicant does...like the copy of your GC, photos, fees, and other documents applicable to your specific situation like divorce decree, court certified disposition on any criminal matter, Selective Service letter, etc...Pretty much the same that everyone sends...

But you MUST need to choose option-OTHER on the application on the question number D of Part 2 which is about your eligibility for naturalization.

http://www.ilw.com/forms/n-400fillable.pdf

Also, you must need to explain your eligibility in brief in there. You should write-" INA sec 319 (a) that allows you to file for naturalization application after 3 years of becoming a LPR since you obtained your LPR under VAWA". You may also choose to attach the copy of the memo given in the link below along with your application.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PolMem89.pdf

Further, make sure to write about your eligibility on cover letter as well because sometime some clerks don't know everything about immigration laws...which might make them to deny/reject your application from accepting.

Good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

I'm also applying based on VAWA...I send just the required documents from the instructions on USCIS website.

It doesn't hurt to send a copy of the I360 approval notice along with the required documents for the N-400. Good luck.

tricky situation- vawa- need help

But you MUST need to choose option-OTHER on the application on the question number D of Part 2 which is about your eligibility for naturalization.

http://www.ilw.com/forms/n-400fillable.pdf

Also, you must need to explain your eligibility in brief in there. You should write-" INA sec 319 (a) that allows you to file for naturalization application after 3 years of becoming a LPR since you obtained your LPR under VAWA". You may also choose to attach the copy of the memo given in the link below along with your application.

Good luck...

I got my Green card based on VAWA. It was approved on July 28, 2006. When the card came, Resident Since date was June30, 2003. After doing some research, I assumed they granted me Permanent Resident Status since June 2003. So based on 5yr rule, I applied for the citizenship, See my timeline below. Today I just finished interview. The officer does not seem to know anything about VAWA.

She said you got your GC on July 28 2006 and you applied on 5yr rule and thats too early to apply for citizenship. She said they put the wrong date on your GC.

For some reason, I feel she is not right. I was in this country from 9yrs. The date June 30, 2003 was when I last entered into this country. 9 months time and money were gone for nothing. Is this something, you have seen before? Please please help. :confused::confused::eek::mad:

How come they did not know this until the interview day. If they have any objections, why did they not inform me before? I saw some other cases, whose 'Resident Since' date was before 2-3 yrs, after they approved for GC. I could not find them now.:mad:

I know I can apply again next year, based on 3yr rule and the section you mentioned above.

Seattle
Mailed N-400.....03/25/08
Reached...........03/28/08
Receipt Date.....03/31/08
Actual FP…………05/06/2008
Sep 23rd-Talked to on phone (supervisor) - FBI check is pending and I am not in the line for Interview
Oct 20th- Talked to Supervisor again- My IL is in the mail on 16th Oct
IL letter 10/21/2008
Interview Date 11/20/2008 Done, had to withdraw,since I applied a little early bec of wrong Resident Since date on my GC

How come they did not know this until the interview day. If they have any objections, why did they not inform me before? I saw some other cases, whose 'Resident Since' date was before 2-3 yrs, after they approved for GC. I could not find them now.:mad:

I know I can apply again next year, based on 3yr rule and the section you mentioned above.

Interview Date 11/20/2008 Done, had to withdraw,since I applied a little early bec of wrong Resident Since date on my GC

Your residence becomes on the day you receive the GC. And it if had the wrong date on it, you should have got the GC replacement.

even if your green card was approved in 2006 you can file your N-400 under Sec 319(A) if the INA 2 yrs and 9 months after the GC was approved as a battered spouse of a US Citizen.

even if your green card was approved in 2006 you can file your N-400 under Sec 319(A) if the INA 2 yrs and 9 months after the GC was approved as a battered spouse of a US Citizen.

2 yrs and 9 mo from July 2006 will be only in April 2009 if I am not mistaken. So it IS early right now to file.

I got my Green card based on VAWA. It was approved on July 28, 2006. When the card came, Resident Since date was June30, 2003. After doing some research, I assumed they granted me Permanent Resident Status since June 2003. So based on 5yr rule, I applied for the citizenship, See my timeline below. Today I just finished interview. The officer does not seem to know anything about VAWA.

She said you got your GC on July 28 2006 and you applied on 5yr rule and thats too early to apply for citizenship. She said they put the wrong date on your GC.

For some reason, I feel she is not right. I was in this country from 9yrs. The date June 30, 2003 was when I last entered into this country. 9 months time and money were gone for nothing. Is this something, you have seen before? Please please help. :confused::confused::eek::mad:

Seattle
Actual FP…………05/06/2008
Sep 23rd-Talked to on phone (supervisor) - FBI check is pending and I am not in the line for Interview
IL letter 10/21/2008

You should have contacted the VAWA agent before sent you N-400...same thing with me, i'm here in USA since October of 2001...but i got my GC in hands on September 2005. Than i count 3 years exactly...no early base...and everything went fine. Sorry to hear about your situation, i would still contact the VAWA agent for advice.

Thank u very much for all the replies. I will reapply in April. I was not aware that Resident Since starts from the day its approved. I thought they granted me the status from 2003.

Now its clear. Thanks guys.

"resident from" on GC

Seattle
Actual FP…………05/06/2008
IL letter 10/21/2008

.I have the same situation.how did u get ur green card "resident from"date 3 years earlier.were u married before and have old GC or what?how can i do that myself?i have old GC application where my abusive ex did not come to interview so i applied for vawa and it is approval and i am waiting for interview for GC

I got my green card base on VAWA. It was approved on May 2017. I am eligible to file N-400 in February 2020. I am thinking to file N-400 myself without attorney help. Can someone suggest me how to write " INA sec 319 (a) that allows you to file for naturalization application after 3 years of becoming a LPR since you obtained your LPR under VAWA" OR someone has sample of letter. Thanks