N-400 application 3yr vs 5Yr : Differences

david_austin

Registered Users (C)
Hi There,

I am curious to know if on average N-400 3yr application takes more time to be processed than the 5-yr one.

In my case after almost 6mo no IL yet...:(

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

David

Yup - cause they need to go through your spouse stuff as well and you have to submit more of that paper stuff

I don't think there is any difference. I got mine based on 3 yr marriage and it was about the same time that it takes 5 yr based case.

Mine was 3 year based, applied in Oct of 2006, got the interview in Jan and became a citizen in Feb...

IMO, a 3 year based application can take longer if a supervisor needs to sign off on supporting evidence for determination of marriage validity. However, the same can be said for a 5 year based application where a supervisor needs to sign off on supporting evidence for the determination of continuous residency. That being said, processing times depend more on individual circumstances and evidence rather than on type of application.

The difference is more with the burden of documentation you have to provide, not the processing time. Under the 5 year rule, they generally don't care about your current marriage except for the marriage certificate. Under the 3 year rule, they want to see all sorts of other papers as evidence of the marriage being genuine and you both still living together.

But not everyone, who files under the 3-year rule, is filing based on marriage.

Say again? A 3 year based naturalization application requires you to have been married to a US citizen for 3 years on LPR status. Are you referring to how the GC was obtained instead?

If you apply throgh VAWA, it is 3 years and marriage is not required. It is not in the Guide for Naturalization either. If you dont know something, does not mean it does not exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you apply throgh VAWA, it is 3 years and marriage is not required. It is not in the Guide for Naturalization either. If you dont know something, does not mean it does not exist.

The context of the discussion here is in the processing time difference between filing 3 year marriage based vs 5 year regular naturalization application, not in who knows what about VAWA.

For the sake of the argument, a VAWA is the same as 3 year marriage based , but the marriage requirement is waived. However, this does not mean it doesn't fall under scrutiny (and possible delays) since supporting documentation and supervisor sign off may also be required.

The context of the discussion here is in the processing time difference between filing 3 year marriage based vs 5 year regular naturalization application, not in who knows what about VAWA.

For the sake of the argument, a VAWA is the same as 3 year marriage based , but the marriage requirement is waived. However, this does not mean it doesn't fall under scrutiny (and possible delays) since supporting documentation and supervisor sign off may also be required.

I agree with Bob: the context of the discussion here is in the processing time difference between filing 3 year marriage based vs 5 year regular naturalization application

Thanks