N-400 and Theft Under $500 charge

danen1973

Registered Users (C)
I submitted my N-400 application in January. Received by fingerprint letter and completed the process. My interview is coming up in one week. After doing some reading I realized that I might have made a mistake on my application.
I answered questions 15-21 with NO. At the time I didn't think much about it. BUT, in all honesty I totally forgot about my little issue with the law 16 years ago. I did a stupid thing (while in college) and was arrested and charged with theft of property of less than $500 (In Tennessee). Yes I know, I was stupid... I plead guilty and agreed to go through a program that would keep this off my record, I completed it. Since then I haven't had any issues (other than traffic ticket or two). I even had couple of background check (job related) since then and didn’t have any problems.
So, what should I do when I’m there at the interview? Should I fess up and let the immigration officer know. If I do then will I then have to go and get any paperwork from the city where I was arrested. I won’t have time to go there and get the paperwork. I also don’t want to delay the processing of my application.
I really did forget about my arrest because I knew that my record was clean and I didn’t really think about those questions. I guess I remembered my attorney (16 years ago) telling me that my record will be clean after I complete the program. Any suggestions?

I think there is a way to withdraw your application..but then you wont get a refund on your $$$.. Im no lawyer, but just tell the truth during the interview (if they ask) tell them you remembered after the n400 was sent. However..If you were 16, the record is sealed anyway. You probably wont be able to get a court disposition. Did you get finger printed when arrested ?? do any jail time?? or pay any fine?howmuch? it sounds like the gave you an ACD. I think you'll be ok.

Thank you LateKnight
Just a correction, I was 19 when I was arrested. I did get fingerprinted, did not serve any time and did not pay a fine. I'll take your advice and tell the truth (if they ask). But I was wondering if they will delay the processing of my application and ask for paperwork from my arrest.

I think there is a way to withdraw your application..but then you wont get a refund on your $$$.. Im no lawyer, but just tell the truth during the interview (if they ask) tell them you remembered after the n400 was sent. However..If you were 16, the record is sealed anyway. You probably wont be able to get a court disposition. Did you get finger printed when arrested ?? do any jail time?? or pay any fine?howmuch? it sounds like the gave you an ACD. I think you'll be ok.

Confuss... If it is the only thing you are hiding. Just start off with telling them that you might have forgotten something and wanted to make the aware of it. Also, you should get them a copy of the any court records before you go in. That will speed things up. Chances are they will not care about it, but if they find out about it on their own (via fingerprints or State records) that could be another story.