N-400 and Criminal Record

mikej

Hello!
I have been a US Permanent Resident, through my ex-wife, for 5 years now. I am trying to apply for Citizenship but I am a bit worried, as I have 2 arrest records: (1 back in 2000 for a misdemeanor terroristic threat) and (1 in 2007 for a misdemeanor domestic violence involving ex-wife and our 2-year-old child). Ex was overdosing on meds. and cutting herself in front of our child. I tried to hold her down but she claimed I choked her... The 1st record has already been disclosed to USCIS when I was applying for my AOS. Both cases were eventually dismissed.
Now, my question is how would this affect my application for Citizenship? What should I do? Do I skip Citizenship, although I want it bad? I was planning on filing for Citizenship pro se in the next few weeks.
Thank you for your valuable input!

z28eater

Registered Users (C)
I know from my personal experience USCIS likes to see at least 5 years since an arrest. Even though it sounds like you don't have a criminal record. If I were you I would consult with a few attorney's and see what they have to say. Good luck.

mimo1609

Registered Users (C)
Talk to a lawyer, before you send your application I'm in the exact same situations but i'm in troubles because I didn't Disclose the two arrests in my N400 application out of ignorance, so please do do the same mistake and ask an immigration lawyer first....best of luck

mikej

Also, I am planning to leave the US for a vacation overseas, so I was wondering if such arrest records would affect my coming back?
Thank you for your input!

z28eater

Registered Users (C)
I don't know if the arrest's would effect you coming back. It may it may not. I would definitely check with an attorney on that. You may be asked that question at POE, if so get a copy of your dispositions from the court as to what the out come was for those arrests.

danen1973

Registered Users (C)
@mimo1609
What kind of trouble are you in? Did you get questioned about your arrests during the interview? I submitted my application and have my interview scheduled next week. I also didn't disclose one arrest from 16 years ago and now I'm wondering what I should do. My charge was for a misdemeanor and later taken off my record. Let me know please.

Talk to a lawyer, before you send your application I'm in the exact same situations but i'm in troubles because I didn't Disclose the two arrests in my N400 application out of ignorance, so please do do the same mistake and ask an immigration lawyer first....best of luck

well you said someone so who's to say i was friends with them in the first place?
even if they did i would say that's cool and avoid him at all costs
the fact you said its "entirely fictional" makes me suspicious

dafortycal

Registered Users (C)
If dismissed, don't worry, but do tell them about it. What USCIS likes to see, isn't the issue, don't waste your time on a lawyer either. Just gather some documents showing the charges were dismissed and you will be ok.