N-400 and Change of Address

c1984

Registered Users (C)
I expect to move to a different state within 6-8 months after filing N-400. I'm hoping not to cause any delays in the processing time, particularly because I'm moving from a less busy center (shorter processing time) to a move busy center (longer processing time).

I'll be reporting my change of address as soon as I move, as required by the law.

But does the law require that I specify the documents I have pending? I'm not sure.

I was thinking of using a friends "mailing address" while filling in my own physical address as the "current address". And after moving, I was planning to file AR-11, but try not making any changes to the pending N-400.

Is this possible?

Does AR-11 automatically result in a change of processing center, even if you do not cite the pending forms a the time of submitting AR-11?

Will the interviewing officer in any way hold this against you? Even if you have legally reported your change of address?

Thank you all in advance for any insight.

I expect to move to a different state within 6-8 months after filing N-400. I'm hoping not to cause any delays in the processing time, particularly because I'm moving from a less busy center (shorter processing time) to a move busy center (longer processing time).

I'll be reporting my change of address as soon as I move, as required by the law.

But does the law require that I specify the documents I have pending? I'm not sure.

I was thinking of using a friends "mailing address" while filling in my own physical address as the "current address". And after moving, I was planning to file AR-11, but try not making any changes to the pending N-400.

Is this possible?

Does AR-11 automatically result in a change of processing center, even if you do not cite the pending forms a the time of submitting AR-11?

Will the interviewing officer in any way hold this against you? Even if you have legally reported your change of address?

Thank you all in advance for any insight.
After changing your address your file should be transfered to the closest office of your new home address. Will it slow down your app? Maybe yes maybe no!! No one can give you a definite answer to that.

Yes you do have to specify what documents you have pending. GL

After changing your address your file should be transfered to the closest office of your new home address. Will it slow down your app? Maybe yes maybe no!! No one can give you a definite answer to that.

Yes you do have to specify what documents you have pending. GL

Thank you for the response, Jbuff. I really appreciate it.

Could you please share the basis for suggesting "you do have to" specify the documents?

As far as I can tell, as a permanent resident you are required by the law to report your new address within 10 days of moving. But is there a legal requirement to specify whether you have pending documents, and then to provide the receipt numbers?

Thank you for the response, Jbuff. I really appreciate it.

Could you please share the basis for suggesting "you do have to" specify the documents?

As far as I can tell, as a permanent resident you are required by the law to report your new address within 10 days of moving. But is there a legal requirement to specify whether you have pending documents, and then to provide the receipt numbers?

Read the section on If you.... Have pending applications or petitions, you need to complete two steps:
  • Step 1: File Form AR-11 (online OR by mail);
    AND
  • Step 2: Change your address on any pending or recently approved applications or petitions, online OR by phone at 1-800-375-5283

https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange

Read the section on If you.... Have pending applications or petitions, you need to complete two steps:
  • Step 1: File Form AR-11 (online OR by mail);
    AND
  • Step 2: Change your address on any pending or recently approved applications or petitions, online OR by phone at 1-800-375-5283

https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange

Thank you, Susie.

I have noticed that language. However, still I'm not sure if that's a "requirement." Just because they say "you need to" does not mean you are required to do a certain thing. It might just be a recommendation.

For instance, you may come across a statement that "if you do not hear back about your case, you 'need to' set an infopass." That does not mean you are legally required to set an infopass. This might be construed as a suggestion to facilitate the processing of your case.

In this case, what if I do not mind having my interview at the old FO? I sure appreciate the opportunity for transferring to a closer FO if more convenient, but what if I don't mind having it at the old FO?

Why has everybody come to accept there is a requirement for you to update the address on pending applications?

I found my answer. Reporting back for others benefit:

In short, you are "required" to change your address, as your jurisdiction changes with your state of residence.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartD-Chapter6.html

"In cases where an applicant changes or plans to change his or her residence after filing the naturalization application, the applicant is required to report the change of address to USCIS so that the applicant’s A-file (with application) can be transferred to the appropriate office having jurisdiction over the applicant’s new place of residence."

Thank you everybody for participating in the discussion.

Wasn’t that more or less the response I already provided you with in my PM to you?:

If you move after submitting your N400, you’ll need to update the address and follow up with USCIS to ensure they’re aware of your new address. This may lead to your petition being transferred to a new FO if your new address no longer falls under the current FO’s jurisdiction. Yes this may delay your petition by a couple of months, it is better to do things right, IMO, than look for ways at circumventing the process.

Thank you, Susie.

I have noticed that language. However, still I'm not sure if that's a "requirement." Just because they say "you need to" does not mean you are required to do a certain thing. It might just be a recommendation.

I’m glad you found another piece to convince yourself, because yes need is require in this instance. I can’t see how you would accept need means require for step 1 but not step 2, especially when it is so clearly phrased “you need to complete two steps... ...1... AND 2...”