My wife's I-94 form was torn at airport, what should I do

youyou

Registered Users (C)
I am working in US on TN, my wife is with me on TD.

My wife's TD (I-94) form was torn by the Custom when she flew to China in Chicago airport

I am going to China via Chicago in Oct, what should I to prevent the Custom tearing off my I-94 form?

What should she do when she comes back in Nov?

If I understand how the TN work authorization/spousal "visa" (I-94) works, when you leave the continent of North America, you have to "surrender" the I-94 (ie. have it taken out by customs or given to the flight crew). I *believe* (someone pls correct me if I am wrong), that US customs will re-issue a new I-94 with the same expiry date etc. when you re-enter the continent.

Hope this helps. Maybe give her a copy of your I-94 just in case of your marriage certificate or copy of it to cover yourself. I have never gone thru this but most I have known who have gone thru this, have received a new I-94 when they went thru US customs.

I-94

You have to surrender your existing I-94 most likely to the airline folks when you depart. (How did you encouter customs when you are leaving the country? Are you sure it was the customs?)
Person gets a new I-94 when entering the country again

If you I-94 says "MULTIPLE ENTRY", then staple it to your passport so it is not ripped out. This way each time you enter you will simply show the same I-94.

If it has been or will be ripped out, simply fill out the I-94 form each time you enter and you will receive a new one.

This does mean however that you should have some means of informing CBP of what your previous I-94 number was. A photocopy does the trick.

Its normal ,US immigration will issue new I-94, even in my case i did not surrender my i-94 but when i came back to USA, they torn my old i-94 & gave me new one. If you have a old copy , it will save time