My Landing Experience

Sanvibha

Registered Users (C)
Hi
My Landing Experience in Canada is similar to many experiences posted in this forum. My family and me landed in Canada in my rented car after crossing the Rainbow Bridge.
There was only one immigration officer available and I was the only person there. So it was a very smooth affair, except very unusual first question from Immigration officer, ‘How do you want to do this?’, after I told him that I have come for Landing as ‘Permanent Resident’.
After my family and me signed the Landing Papers and he handed over one copy to us, he said ‘I am all set’, which baffled me since I was under impression that I have to pay Can$ 50.00 for each of us and Passport Photographs. When I asked specifically he said that this is already taken care off. I hope this was included in my Landing fee. Does anybody with similar experience?
After immigration, I was directed to Custom Department. As advised in many threads in this forum, I was carrying the ‘Items to Follow’ list. When I handed over this copy, the custom officer deleted ‘Mattress’ from the list. Mattress is NOT allowed in Canada. Secondly, he asked me whether I would be carrying Jewelry. When I answered positively he asked me why it is not included here? When I wanted to include in the list, he said it has to be with ‘Photographs’. So I could not add any jewelry in the list. For Future’ Landers’, if you have jewelry, please include in ‘Items to Follow’ list and have the photographs.
I stayed for two days in Niagara Falls and enjoyed the fall. It is really beautiful from Canada side, may be due to its size and shape as compared to Niagara Falls from US side. Weather was very good on both days and it was a good change from the ‘Never ending’ winter of New England.
Next working day, we were in the office of HRD. First thing the lady at the corner told me that I require four identification including PR card. When I told her that I have landed just yesterday and I will not be getting the ‘PR cards’ for next three to four months, she was reluctantly accepted my applications. When she asked me why I am applying in this office whereas I am giving the address in Toronto. I told her my uncle stays there and I will join them after one month after finishing school of my son. She said that she would not send my application since I am not going to be at the given address to receive the SIN Card. Even she was not willing to give the receipt. When I told her that I have got fund to be deposited in the Bank here and I require the receipt to open the account, she has reluctantly handed me the receipt with remark that ‘application is not processed today’.
I opened the saving account in nearby bank with bare minimum amount.
The return journey back to US was very smooth (except the rains in New England Area). At US border, the officer asked me when I had gone to Canada? For what purpose and ‘Did I purchase anything in Canada which I want to declare?’ Within few minutes, I was all set to enter in US. I-94 is not changed (as expected).

Do you think I will have any problem in getting SIN card? Or will they call my friend at given address and confirm whether I am there or not?

:D :p :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! Sanvibha,

Question about your coming back to US: Did you use 30-day Automatic Revalidation Regulation (i.e., expired visa and valid I-94)? Or you used a valid visa or a US green card?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
http://feelingsleepys.blogspot.com/

"Sleepys, Sleepys Mattress, Sleepys coupon"
Sleepy's - The Mattress Store is a local (Kelowna, B.C.) family owned complete sleep shop.