My interview experience

it does state in the rules that u may take trips under 6 months but also remain in the usa 33 months out of the entire 5 years. u cant stay over 1 year thats no exception period! however it does also state that if u stayed overseas over 6 months but less then 1 year u have to show proof. such as if ur family members live here or u pay rent or bank bills and stuff..all these r things that they say u can do and u will get ur citizenship..but u know what it all comes down to which IO u get! do u get a pissy one who snaps at every little thing or do u get a nice one who isnt about to eat u alive, depends doesnt it?

Well for all trips under the 6 months - it really doesn't depend on the IO. That part of the law is in black and white. So long as ties have been maintained.

However, you are correct that when it comes to those trips greater than 6 months but less than 1 year, the IO is given discretionary authority to approve or deny. Also the burden of proof on the applicants becomes significant - with no limits to the type of proof that can be requested from them to prove that ties have not be severed. I personally think they should make the laws easier to follow so it isn't like navigating through a maze blindfolded.

heh. ha ha. congratulations!

Please reduce the font size. It hurts my eyes. (just a minor issue. smile).

it does state in the rules that u may take trips under 6 months but also remain in the usa 33 months out of the entire 5 years. u cant stay over 1 year thats no exception period! however it does also state that if u stayed overseas over 6 months but less then 1 year u have to show proof. such as if ur family members live here or u pay rent or bank bills and stuff..all these r things that they say u can do and u will get ur citizenship..but u know what it all comes down to which IO u get! do u get a pissy one who snaps at every little thing or do u get a nice one who isnt about to eat u alive, depends doesnt it?

yup u r right it all depends who gets to handle your case if u get a tough 1 u have to fight and prove your case but i hope everything works out fine for you y dont u ask your husband to live with u in the us instead of going back and forth to meet him that would be much easier for both of you

i cant cuz he doesnt have his visa.,, i filed a I-130 for him but since im a green card holder at the moment..cuz of this he has to wait his PD which is in the year 2004..now the PD r 2003 know what i mean? if i become a citizen i can bring him here way faster..hate living with parents i want him to be with me plz pray for me thanks and glad u were granted i hope i will be also with the help from GOD!

Naz121,

How did the IO ask you to sign the photograph during interview? Full name in cursive writing, or print your full name on photo or just sign the photo with your regular signature?

There are a couple of posters in this forum causing paranoia regarding the CR situation and your post nullifies their non-professional (they are not lawyers) interpretations of the IO's field manual.

Pretty much everyone who contributes here is a "non-professional". Even those that are professionals, are not posting in a professional capacity, so whats your point?

As far as the issue of continuous residence goes, its not a black and white problem. There are many documented cases where people have been denied or given a very hard time during interview. Disregarding those experiences on the basis of a single good report seems rather short sighted unless your situation exactly mirrors that of the OP.

say what? in english plz? just let me say this..no one knows anything its all on the IO if they say yes or no..no one can guess no one can predict no one can lecture. ONLY THE IO KNOWS IF HE/SHE WILL SAY YES/NO! am i right or am i right?

Pretty much everyone who contributes here is a "non-professional". Even those that are professionals, are not posting in a professional capacity, so whats your point?

As far as the issue of continuous residence goes, its not a black and white problem. There are many documented cases where people have been denied or given a very hard time during interview. Disregarding those experiences on the basis of a single good report seems rather short sighted unless your situation exactly mirrors that of the OP.

This is an excellent forum and has helped me tremendously as I'm sure it's helped others. I have learnt to filter out amateurish advice/interpretations of the field manual or other documents and I now use this forum only for sharing real experiences. That's the most authentic source of information about an actual situation and it's outcome.

I speak only for myself and my real life experience conflicts 100% with the amount of USCIS bashing that goes on in this forum - I was interviewed in a polite and respectful manner without compromising on any aspect of the application. I also found the IO to be competent.

A paranoia has been created here about denial due to CR but my experience has been that if you have a genuine situation, if you have not committed blatant and intentional fraud, the application has more chances of being approved than being denied.

"Skirting around the 6 month rule" and it's conscequences have been hyped too much here. I knew about the 6 month limit and I had a genuine situation and I did exactly that - to comply with the USCIS advertised rules (see N-400 information booklet), I made 5 month 3 week long trips to avoid breaking CR (while of course maintaining my ties here).

Last edited by a moderator:
A paranoia has been created here about denial due to CR but my experience has been that if you have a genuine situation, if you have not committed blatant and intentional fraud, the application has more chances of being approved than being denied.

"Skirting around the 6 month rule" and it's conscequences have been hyped too much here. I knew about the 6 month limit and I had a genuine situation and I did exactly that - to comply with the USCIS advertised rules (see N-400 information booklet), I made 5 month 3 week long trips to avoid breaking CR.
Time will tell the real story. Your case hasn't been approved or denied yet. We hope you will update us on the outcome.

And regardless of your outcome, it still remains true that multiple back-to-back 5 month trips is not safe. It is important to dispel the common misconception that keeping each individual trip under 6 months is a guarantee of maintaining continuous residence. Once you travel as much as that, the result is contingent on the discretion of the IO and how strongly you are able to prove your case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naz121,

How did the IO ask you to sign the photograph during interview? Full name in cursive writing, or print your full name on photo or just sign the photo with your regular signature?

no full name she marked my photo with a white pencil and asked me if i could write my full name

whats the difference if the IO asks for signature or full name

Denial

Immigrateful - could you tell me if you were in US the entire time of your application process? My wife and I are in similar situation, and we are deciding whether or not to appeal the decision. She has been traveling back and forth maintaining the 6 month guideline. But the IO took it upon himself to draw to the conclusion that she has abandoned her residence.

Immigrateful - could you tell me if you were in US the entire time of your application process? My wife and I are in similar situation, and we are deciding whether or not to appeal the decision. She has been traveling back and forth maintaining the 6 month guideline. But the IO took it upon himself to draw to the conclusion that she has abandoned her residence.

Yes, I was here during the entire application process except for the annual 5 week trip to India. One of the strong points in my case was that I applied 1.5 years after getting back to the USA.

I am not aware to the details of your case but you could appeal. The M-476 (Guide To Naturalization) clearly says that continuous residency means no visits outside of the US of more than 180 days.

Also, the appeal processes is quite simple and straight forward.