My Experience, LANDING INTO CANADA FROM THE US BY ROAD

canadianmaple

I am a canadian landed immigrant now, I could not beleive how simple the whole thing was, I live in sanfransisco bay area and I wanted to keep my current job till i found a new one in canada so i decided to just land and then come back finally after everthing is fixed up there. Tickets directly to canada are costly >USD$800 so i decided to take a flight to seattle (ticket cost about $206 return, www.Hotwire.com) which is about 150 miles away and land on route towards Vancouver by car(Rental). Everything went upto plan, at the US-CANADIAN border, pulled up to the official at the gate, showed him the papers he asked me to park the car and go to the immigration office. two nice and polite (Canadian-Indian) immigration ladies were present they asked me the usual question whether i am moving completely now, did i leave the job in US, US Visa Status etc etc, to which i replied as truthfully as i could (Please reply truthfully as they check the passport throughly and can see the H1B visa, they ask you multiple questions on this, very hard lying. Remember If they catch you lying, it is immigration fraud, you can get arrested). Anyway so after clearifying all her doubts, she finally stamped my passports and said you have now landed, Welcome to CANADA!!!!!. I went to Vancouver spent a day and night there. While returning the lady at US Juncture asked me a couple of questions looked at my visa and i-94 and said okay go, she didnt stamp anything and i was back in the USA!!!. I couldnt beleive it!, that was simple. I thought i will have majour headaches but everthing went ok. Vancouver is a cool city, A Must visit, My 2 cents. Regard\'s.

Congrates. 1question. US GC and want to enter in Canada as Immigrant.

I will get my Canadian landing papers soon. My last date to enter in Canada will be Jan 2003.

And, I will get US Greencard soon(June 2002) too.

But, still I want to go to Canada as landed immigrant, because, that way, my brother(who is planning to file for Canada PI) can benefit for 5 more points. What do you suggest.

Appreciate your help. Thanks,

Congrats

Congrats.How long are u planning to stay out of Canada.Is it ok for you to stay in US for three years and still keep the Canadian PR?

congrats !! which crossing did you use to enter cananda and re-enter the USA ?

was it I-5/Highway 99 at blaine ?

Congrats! How did you apply?

Did you use any professional services? how long did it take you to get the canadian visa. when you returned to SF, was it to pack up your belongings and return to canada or are you still pursuing a job in SF? Once you land in canada, technically you loose US GC, but what if one has belongings in US that they would like to then move into canada? it would be nice if you can give a brief on how you went about applying for the visa. thanks.