My Citizenship interview experience at USCIS Mt Laurel, New Jersey.

Expat007

Registered Users (C)
I have been a silent observer of this forum. This forum does a great service to help expatriates navigate through perplexities of immigration related issues. Albeit neither a legal advice nor a replacement for a professional legal advice, some of the members of this forum have cogent comments and they certainly have helped me.

Hence, I feel it is my responsibility to share my recent citizenship experience, a capstone that marked an end to my 14 years journey as an expatriate.

My interview took place at Mt Laurel in New Jersey on January 26, 2010. The USCIS center is located next to Greyhound bus station. There is plenty of free parking available in front of the office.

I have obtained my Green Card based on employment and I've carried most of the documents advised by this forum.

My interview was at 9:30 AM. I've arrived few minutes before my interview. I had to go through security that resembled Airport security. You are not allowed to carry water bottles. After passing through security, I've come to a big hall where I saw people seated waiting for their interview turn. I've submitted my appointment letter and I was given a document (one sheet of paper) that explained the interview process. The document advised me that I would be asked several questions to verify the information I've submitted on my N400 application.

After submitting the appointment letter, I've joined the rest of the people that were sitting in the hall waiting for their turn. I've noticed that people were called in for interview based on when they have submitted the appointment letter and not based the time that was stated on the appointment letter. So, had I arrived the place earlier I would have been called sooner.

After 30 minutes of wait, a pleasant gentleman opened the door and announced my name. I've gotten up, taking my mixed emotions with me, and greeted the officer. He greeted me back with an amicable smile. This was a dramatically different experience for an immigrant that had passed through port-of-entry several times.

I followed the officer to his office. He then asked me to raise my right hand while he asked me that I would tell the truth and that I would not misrepresent any information. I affirmed by saying yes.

The officer asked me to give him my Diver License and Green Card. He had my N-400 application in front of him. He asked me questions as follows, all of it to confirm that the information I stated in N-400 was true:

1. Do you want to change name?
2. Is the social security number stated on the application accurate?
3. Are you living at the same address?
4. Are you still working for the employer stated in the application?
5. How many trips have you taken outside the U.S? May I see the passport?
6. Are you married? Is your wife a U.S. Citizen?
7. How many kids?
8. Have you committed any crime?
9. Do you understand the requirement of Oath? (My answer was Allegiance to the U.S and bear arms on behalf of the United States it the law requires)

He then took out a sheet of paper that had 10 civics questions printed on it. He told me that he would ask me ten questions and I've to get six questions right.

He started asking me questions. As I've answered the questions, he wrote my answers right next to the question on his paper.

I've answered the first six questions right and he stopped the process.

He then asked me to read a sentence. After I've successfully read the sentence, He had asked me to write a sentence.

The officer then told me that he approved my application. He had me sign a document.

He asked me whether I could come to the Oath ceremony at 3:15 PM. I said yes. He then printed a document and asked me to bring it with me for the Oath. There were several questions on the document. The officer told me that he expects “No" answers to the questions. Some of the questions were as follows:

1. Are you still married or divorced since the time of the interview?
2. Have you traveled outside the U.S. since the time of the interview?
3. Have you committed any crime or fined etc including traffic violations (no room for interpretation here! I have found on this forum an extended conversation whether or not to state traffic violations on N-400 application)?

I think these questions make sense if you have Oath several days after the interview. If you have the Oath on the same day, the answer is going to be "No" in most cases.

I live 40 minutes from USCIS. So, I drove back home.

I traveled back to the USCIS and reached the office at 2:50 PM. As I was traveling back-and-forth, I have noticed cops with radar detectors on the highway. I got really nervous each time I passed them. I didn't want to get a ticket. Hence, I was extra cautious to follow the posted speed limit.

After reaching the USCIS office at 2:50 PM, I had to go through the security again. After passing through the security I sat in the same hall as I did in the morning for my interview.

Around 3:00 PM, an officer came and greeted all of us who have come to the Oath ceremony. He started explaining the details of the ceremony. He told us that they will be taking away Green cards and we will be given something better! A naturalization certificate!

Around 3:15 PM, we were invited to a different hall where the ceremony was be conducted.

Before we were invited to this hall, the officer advised the visitors that accompanied the applicants to stay outside for few minutes. He further told that the visitors would be invited after sometime to take the pictures if they wish to.

The actual ceremony and the pertinent administrative procedure lasted for 40 minutes. At the end of the process, we were handed out the naturalization certificate.

Side note:

The following is to help out people that may have questions regarding these topics:

1. My wife and I have had the interviews on the same day. So, we had to take our three year old with us. As our interviews were separately conducted, I had to take my son with me to the interview room. That was not a problem.
2. I wore tie to the interview and suit to the ceremony. This was an important event to me. I also wanted to treat the USCIS officers with respect and manifest that what they were doing is important too.
3. The officer conducted the interview process very methodically, yet briskly. He did not ask for any supporting documents except for my Green card, Driver license and Passport. So, if your case is straight forward, please don't be concerned with extra documents. Obtain the ones you could.
4. Go there early if you want to complete the interview process early.

Here is some background information about my application:

I have sent my application in the first week of November-2010
I've completed my finger printing on December 16th, 2010
My interview was on January 26th, 2010.

I wish you all the best with your case. America needs talented expatriates like you all. Citizenship interview is nothing like any other immigration process that you've experienced before. This is just a formality in most cases. This is a mutually beneficial deal. America needs you as much as you need her. So, relax and enjoy your experience.

At those DO where same day oath is avalaible, if the applicants finish interview very early in the morning, are they allowed to stay and hang around for 5 hours inside USCIS building waiting for oath that take place very late in teh afternoon?

Congratulations.

There were two waiting areas in the building. One was for Info Pass applicants and the other was for the interview. I'm not sure if they object if you continued to sit there until the Oath after your interview. If they don't allow you to wait, you could certainly wait at the Greyhound bus station. The Greyhound is located at 538 FELLOWSHIP RD Mt Laurel, NJ 08054. Greyhound bus station is literally connected to the same parking lot.

Coincidentally, I have had to drop some one at the Greyhound few weeks ago. I noticed, during that trip, that the Greyhound waiting area is decent.

Following is the modification to my earlier post:

I have sent my application in the first week of November-2009 ( I have inadvertently stated 2010 in my original post)
I've completed my finger printing on December 16th, 2009 ( I have inadvertently stated 2010 in my original post)
My interview was on January 26th, 2010.

Congretulations!!!enjoy your new life!
Mine will be on feb 3rd 2010. I hope it go through smooothly like yours!

3. Have you committed any crime or fined etc including traffic violations (no room for interpretation here! I have found on this forum an extended conversation whether or not to state traffic violations on N-400 application)?

I think these questions make sense if you have Oath several days after the interview. If you have the Oath on the same day, the answer is going to be "No" in most cases.

I traveled back to the USCIS and reached the office at 2:50 PM. As I was traveling back-and-forth, I have noticed cops with radar detectors on the highway. I got really nervous each time I passed them. I didn't want to get a ticket. Hence, I was extra cautious to follow the posted speed limit.
LOL. It would have been both funny and sad if you got a ticket in between the interview and oath when you have a same-day oath.

How long did it take

Hello, I am going to have my Interview on April 18th. I wonder how long did the interview process take. Like briefly from the time you got there to the time you got out. Because I have another event I have to go to roughly 2.5 hours after the scheduled interview time, I wonder if there's enough time.

Hello, I am going to have my Interview on April 18th. I wonder how long did the interview process take. Like briefly from the time you got there to the time you got out. Because I have another event I have to go to roughly 2.5 hours after the scheduled interview time, I wonder if there's enough time.

It usually takes less than 30 minutes once you are called. If you have something else to do, I will recommend you to arrive 1 hour before your interview time, so you may be called even before your appointment time. Good Luck.

Is study material on USCIS website for civics test enough ?? or I read more material for civics interview ?? thnx.

Congratulations Expat007 ! Very detailed and informative post !! Looks like my DO will Mt Laurel too, so this information will be helpful.

LOL. It would have been both funny and sad if you got a ticket in between the interview and oath when you have a same-day oath.

If we assume the ticket only has a date but not a time, then you can ignore it and later if needed argue the ticket
was issued after the oath

If we assume the ticket only has a date but not a time, then you can ignore it and later if needed argue the ticket
was issued after the oath
Except that the officer could have written a time in his notepad or laptop even if he/she didn't write it on the ticket. They note down additional details of the circumstances of the ticket (e.g. was it raining, heavy or light traffic, the street name, etc.) that don't necessarily get written on the ticket itself, so they can use that information if needed in court.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except that the officer could have written a time in his notepad or laptop even if he/she didn't write it on the ticket. They note down additional details of the circumstances of the ticket (e.g. was it raining, heavy or light traffic, the street name, etc.) that don't necessarily get written on the ticket itself, so they can use that information if needed in court.

What if a few days later after oath letter, a citation is mailed to your address because a camera or a road construction
workers (who have the right to make complain and often have such form with ttehm on their worksite) catch you speeding betwee interview and oath?