Moving to Vancouver soon

sangeeta01

Registered Users (C)
hi,

glad to find this site ... am new to the forum.

I will be moving to Vancouver in August. Can you guys tell me if there are places to avoid , and which would be a good comfortable affordable location to live: if you could run down the major areas like west side, east side, burnaby,richmond,surrey..pros and cons... For newcomers, how is the rent scene? What is the deposit, advance and/or move-in fees? I will be doing the job search for IT project manager/systems analyst position... if that is any consideration for the location...

also with regards to job search, for temporary jobs do any of you have resume samples... i am lost for what to put on there...

thanks a lot for the help...

-sangeeta

lived in Vancouver (1989-1994)

Based on my experience during those years,
I would say avoid East Vancouver (East of Granville street in Vancouver) i.e between 25th street and 1st street. South Vancouver is Ok. There is lot of Indian community on Main street and around 40th street... You should get in touch with University of British Columbia, Indian student association. They would have better idea about the rental scene.

Where would you be working?? Your location is dependent on that!

There is Skytrain (local train ) connecting all these places . 20 -30 minutes at max from burnaby to downtown - 10-15 min burnaby to surrey