Moving to Toronto

sjanani

Registered Users (C)
My wife and I are moving to Toronto around May 15th from New Jersey.

Any useful information readers can provide us would be greatly apprecieated.

Information such as

1. Useful websites
2. Where are the Indian shopping areas
3. Places to avoid (unsafe areas)
4. Book and Guides that would help us get familiar with Toronto

Thanks

Which part of Toronto are you moving to? Toronto is laid out somewhat like NYC and it's boroughs, think of 'Toronto' the city as Manh. and the 'boroughs' here are 4/5, mississauga, brampton, scarborough, richmond hills, markham to name a few. thus, depending on which part you are in, different availability.

You will have access to indian grocery almost every where, and i mean literally everywhere. GTA(greater toronto area, which covers the city and all the so called boroughs) has probably 3 times more indians, in terms of %, than newport, queens and philly combined.

the only site that i can think of is canadiandesi.com

initially if you can, you might want to avoid scarborough where the SARS outbreak occured. (not meaning to raise any flames here)

'gerard street' around 'pape', in toronto, is where the jackson heights of toronto is.

hope this helps.

Thank You

Priya

Thank you for the information, it is very helpful.

Our location will depend on where my wife gets a job. She is in Biotech field. I am an entrepreneur and can decide on my office location based on where we live.

I would love to live close to green space and subway. I love public transportation and from the map I see the High Park area as an option. I have no idea about the area, its safety or how expensive rent and home prices are. It just looks good on the map.

Regards
Shankar

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Shankar,
My wife and I are also moving to Toronto in July. We really loved the High Park area...it is very accessible to the city. Check out www.highparkvillage.com which is a high-rise apartment complex. Rent ranges from $1400 to $1700 Canadian for a 2-br/1-bath. Other decent areas are the waterfront. Try to stay west of Yonge Street(generally refered to at Toronto-West). Toronto-East is a little older and not as well maintained from what we saw. In Tor-West, we were told to avoid the Jane/Finch area as well. Anywhere along the subway is great since you can be downtown in 20 minutes or so.

Happy Hunting! :)

Dear In Limbo

Thank you for the information. I visited the High Park apartment website and it is very impressive. It will be my first stops when I go apartment hunting.

Good luck with your move in July.

Regards
Shankar

I am a US permanent resident (green card holder) and thinking of moving to Toronto by the end of this year. I am planning to find a postdoc position in University of Toronto. Here comes the question.

In order to maintain my permanent resident status, I need to apply for returning resident permit which allows me to return to US within 2 years. How long will it take for getting I-191 (Application for Advance Permission to Return to Unrelinquished Domicile ) approved?

Second, I need to apply for Canadian work permit in order to work there legally since I am not Canadian permanent resident or citizen. It says that US citizens or permanent residents can file the work permit at the port of entry. So I am wondering if I can move all my furnitures to Toronto and apply my work permit at the same day. Will the custom officers allow the stuff moving into Canada?

Thanks for any comments and advices.