1. The forums will be down July 21 weekend due to server being moved by our host. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to Canada - Relinquishing green card

Discussion in 'Canada - Visiting, Living in, Moving to or Moving ' started by trebormint, Jul 20, 2013.

  1. trebormint

    trebormint New Member

    In the process of considering a job opportunity with a new company in the Toronto area. I currently live in the US and am a permanent resident, having an employment based green card.

    This new job is permanent and will require me to move to Canada, including selling my property in the US.

    I am now concerned that in taking the new job I will lose my permanent residence status in the US.

    I am looking for any advice in terms of the likelihood of having to relinquish my green card and perhaps anything I can do to minimize the likelihood of that not happening - such as keeping a property in the US

    To complicate matters further my potential new employer wants me to start work before the end of August and I am concerned that this will not give me sufficient time to apply for a reentry permit (although I am unsure if such a permit will be of any help in my circumstances).

    Appreciate any advice that can be given
  2. TheRealCanadian

    TheRealCanadian Volunteer Moderator

    You should be concerned. You're taking permanent employment outside the US and selling all your property and establishing residence outside the US. That's pretty much an abandonment of residence.

    Merely owning a property in the US won't help you. You need to work and/or reside in the US.

    Unless it's an absolutely fantastic job I personally don't think it's worth it. What would you be getting in return for losing your GC?
  3. raevsky

    raevsky Registered Users (C)

    What kind of visa will you have in Canada?
    Are you going to have a temporary visa? Or are you going to become a permanent resident of Canada?
  4. trebormint

    trebormint New Member

    Ravesky / TheRealCanadian,

    Thanks for both your feedback. I appreciate the insights and comments. I sense that getting a reentry permit is not going to help much either ??

    To answer the question on the type of residency in Canada it will be permanent.

  5. trebormint

    trebormint New Member

    As an alternate suggestion, the company I am going to work in Canada for does have facilities in the US. Would it make any difference in terms of increasing the probability of keeping my green card if I was shown to be employed by the US facility, but working in Canada ?
  6. raevsky

    raevsky Registered Users (C)

    Are you already a permanent resident of Canada and will just be moving to Canada? Or are you going to become one to start working?
    Have you already lived in the US as a permanent resident for a year?
    Have you heard about form N-470?
    Does your company promote american interests in Canada?
  7. cafeconleche

    cafeconleche Registered Users (C)

    Get the reentry permit. You only need to be in the us when you send the application and when cis receive it, and then for the biometrics. You can leave and return for the biometrics too and then leave again if you ask them to send the permit to the consulate in Toronto. Things might change in future and you might want to come back to the us. You can try for another permit just before this one expires.

Share This Page