Moving personal goods via UPS/Fedex

brdprince

Registered Users (C)
Am moving to Vancouver, BC from Washgtn DC planning to ship my clothes, utensils,dry grocery's, spices etc via UPS/Fedex

Has anyone doen this...can anyone guide me how the custom clearances, duties and brokerage fees of Canadian customs works.

UPS has said that i have to do my own customes clearance..

Means..UPS takes my stuff to Canada, Canadian Customs will contact me to come and identify my stuff...pay taxes/duties if any..then UPS will deliver the stuff to my address.

Pls can some share there experience(s) on this kind of issue.

Thanks for your help..

:confused:

Am moving to Vancouver, BC from Washgtn DC planning to ship my clothes, utensils,dry grocery's, spices etc via UPS/Fedex

Has anyone doen this...can anyone guide me how the custom clearances, duties and brokerage fees of Canadian customs works.

UPS has said that i have to do my own customes clearance..

Means..UPS takes my stuff to Canada, Canadian Customs will contact me to come and identify my stuff...pay taxes/duties if any..then UPS will deliver the stuff to my address.

Pls can some share there experience(s) on this kind of issue.

Thanks for your help..

-- I have done this in the past through a professional moving company. The customs seal the truck and then the driver calls you from the local customs office. There you meet the immigration officer and he/she decides the duty depending upon what you have. You should have the list of items shipped ready before you ship the items. They look at that list and decide.

It is easy, do not feel concerned since it is a routine procedure...

thanx for your reply.

I called UPS again..they said i have to go to their warehouse and do it...so i got confused...

and now little more concerned becasue my stuff will be at border b4 i cross /reach the border at Vancouver.

I will call again to UPS and confirmed what you said.

thnx for help.

brdprince said:
thanx for your reply.

I called UPS again..they said i have to go to their warehouse and do it...so i got confused...

and now little more concerned becasue my stuff will be at border b4 i cross /reach the border at Vancouver.

thnx for help.

Different carriers have different procedures. But still, ask them if they are going to have the custome officer at their warehouse. If not, how are you going to "clear" your stuff?

In my opinion (and based on my experience), you do not have to be there when your stuff reaches Canada - you just cannot open the truck before clearing the goods. The truck will be sealed till your arrival and till you clear the goods.

brdprince said:
thanx for your reply.

thnx for help.

Hey, I'm planning to move back to Canada as well and am shipping some things VIA UPS. I've read about "goods to follow" but it doesn't make any sense to me. How would customs know when the goods to follow arrive? And how do I know the goods will arrive at the same border that I cross?? Someone told me that when you cross, you will get a stamped copy of the form B4 which you need to send along with your goods to follow! How the hell am I gonna ship my stuff with this stamped form if I'm in canada? Can they make this any more confusing? :)

Let me know what UPS tells you. Or, I need to go down to their store and ask these questions myself.