Moving out of state after filing N-400

suresh_colo

Registered Users (C)
Hi Gurus,

Is there any issue with moving out of state after filing N-400?

By reading the instructions, there's a 3-month requirement to be living in the USCIS District or State where you file.
But this should be up to the time you file in order to establish eligibility, correct?

Are you free to move to a different state after filing N-400?

Please advise.

Hi Gurus,

Is there any issue with moving out of state after filing N-400?
Yes (see below)
By reading the instructions, there's a 3-month requirement to be living in the USCIS District or State where you file.
But this should be up to the time you file in order to establish eligibility, correct?
You're only partially correct; if you move into a different USCIS district, your 3 month clock resets, and your application will be stalled while you re-establish legal residence within the new district, and also while the file transfer takes place. Plan on at least a 4 month delay.

Are you free to move to a different state after filing N-400?

Sure, but you must be prepared for delays, and must also keep USCIS informed by sending an AR-11 and calling the customer service 800 number to have your N-400 updated.

Yes (see below)

You're only partially correct; if you move into a different USCIS district, your 3 month clock resets, and your application will be stalled while you re-establish legal residence within the new district, and also while the file transfer takes place. Plan on at least a 4 month delay.

Hi boatbod,

Could you please point me to where you found this info?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Suresh_colo,

Boatbod may be able to find you the link.
But what boatbod says is correct. That is how it works, and you will find other users on this forum who have experienced it as well.

As with many implicit rules of N-400 eligibility, its hard to point to a single document that defines exactly how the process operates within USCIS. (Continuous residence would be another example fitting that model.)

The best I can do is point you to the "jurisdiction" section of the adjudicators field manual.

The basic premise is that all eligibility criteria must be met at the time of submitting your N-400, and again at the time of interview, and yet again at oath.

I have an N400 in process and possibly may have to move to another state in May next year. So this is good information to know. I have two follow-up questions:

1. I assume that if I change jurisdictions, all I will need to do is submit a change-of-address to the USCIS? Is this true and will this automatically result in the 3-month clock resets and a 4-month processing delay?

2. Are there any other complications resulting from change of jurisdiction?

1. I assume that if I change jurisdictions, all I will need to do is submit a change-of-address to the USCIS? Is this true and will this automatically result in the 3-month clock resets and a 4-month processing delay?

You must send an AR-11, but the most important thing is to call the customer service line, otherwise notices concerning your current case will be sent to your old address.

2. Are there any other complications resulting from change of jurisdiction?

No, just the inherent delays it causes, especially if your file gets mis-routed on its journey from the old DO to the new DO.

Its not exact 3-month delay. The delays can be many months if there are processing backlog in transferring your files, or if things get misplaced etc.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. It sounds like a real bummer, but I may have to suck it up...