Moving back to Canada with US car

leafs

Hi,

I'm a Canadian citizen with a Green Card who has been living/working in the US for a few years. I plan to move back to Toronto within one year and I'd like to find out how much it will cost me to bring my car (purchased in the US) into Canada.

I've checked www.riv.ca and found that my 2005 Mazda Tribute is on the allow list of cars that can come into Canada. What I want to find out is how much duty or tax I'll pay - if any?

When I moved to the US a few years back, I brought my car with an Ontario plate with no problem. At that time I was going for a vacation, then I found a job and just flew back for the paper work (H1B) with my car already in the US. When I went to get a US plate, I had to do some paper work but I don't remeber paying any tax or duty. I wonder if it's as easy as that to move back to Canada.

Any information or experience in this matter is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Leafs.

BTW, let me know if you want more detail about bring a car to the US like I did.

Toyota 4 Runner 04 & Camery 04

Toyota 4 Runner 04 & Camery 04
I wish to take the above mentioned cars to canada please advise changes /admissibilty.
Thanks

leafs said:
I wonder if it's as easy as that to move back to Canada.
No. I remember asking the Canadian authorities, right after I imported my car into the US. Going back is not as easy. Canada will definitely charge you duty to re-import the car back into Canada, and the Canadian duty is higher than going into the US. You should contact Canadian customs to find out what the correct procedure is. You'll also need to bring the car into your province, which will most likely require an inspection, and possibly more fees.