Moving back to Canada with American husband

lisah

Hi, I'm a Canadian citizen that has been living with my husband (American) for the last 5 years. We want to move to Vancouver, and I have all the paper work done but not filed yet. We want to move soon, so I have a couple questions.
1. Can my husband come to Canada with the intent to stay without my having sponsored him yet? We were planning to drive, and meeting a moving van at the border with our stuff. Am I right in thinking because he is a US citizen he shouldn't need any other documents at the border crossing but our marriage certificate and his US passport?

2. Anybody brought pets across the border in a car? I have brought my dog from Canada into the US on the plane no problem, but wondering how it is driving across, better or worse.
If anyone has info or comments I would be so happy to talk with you!

Thank you!

Lisa,
I don't think your husband will have any problems crossing the border with you with his passport. You don't need the marriage certificate but have it in hand.
The issue will arise when it comes to working since he needs a work permit or resident permit to entitle him to work in Canada. If you were working in the States the process you went through will apply in Canada as well with slight variations.
I think when you get to Vancouver and settle down, you should walk into any CIC offices or check www.cic.gc.ca for the relevant information on formalising your husband's stay. I believe in any case your husband has to be sponsored by you to become a permenant resident.

I don't know about pets but the same process at airports apply at borders. Just have the right documentation for your pets and ownership docs.

Best of luck
Jes